Cricket-PCB has change of heart but Afridi pulls out of Big Bash

KARACHI Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:35pm IST

Related Topics

KARACHI Nov 19 (Reuters) - All-rounder Shahid Afridi has pulled out of the Australian Big Bash Twenty20 league even though the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has had a change of heart about allowing its players to take part.

Afridi, who had been due to play for Sydney Thunder, has decided to remain in Pakistan in an attempt to prove his form for the tour of India, which starts on Dec. 22.

"I have decided to give preference to playing in Pakistan and regaining my form," Afridi said.

Last week, the PCB said they had stopped Afridi, off-spinner Saeed Ajmal and batsman Umar Akmal from participating in the Australian competition because it clashed with Pakistan's T20 league which begins on Dec. 2.

"The board has, on a request from Cricket Australia, decided to allow these players to go and play in the Big Bash," PCB spokesman, Nadeem Sarwar told Reuters.

"The players will go at the fag end of the domestic competition," he added.

Umar is signed to the Sydney Sixers and Ajmal the Adelaide Strikers.

Sarwar said the players would return to Pakistan to attend the training camp for the Indian tour of two T20 matches and three one-day internationals. (Editing By Alison Wildey)

FILED UNDER:
Comments (0)
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.

  • Most Popular
  • Most Shared

Reuters Showcase

Fit to Play

Fit to Play

Ronaldo fit for Super Cup decider  Full Article 

Extension for Perez

Extension for Perez

Perez expects to stay at Force India  Full Article 

Golf Update

Golf Update

McIlroy struggles in opening round at The Barclays  Full Article 

Steyn Returns

Steyn Returns

Steyn, Morkel back for South Africa in triangular series  Full Article 

Balotelli Leaves Milan

Balotelli Leaves Milan

Balotelli says farewell to Milan, may be heading for Liverpool  Full Article 

Ready for Compromise

Ready for Compromise

BayernLB open to a deal to end dispute with Formula One boss Ecclestone  Full Article 

Reuters India Mobile

Reuters India Mobile

Get the latest news on the go. Visit Reuters India on your mobile device.  Full Coverage