Israel ready for Gaza invasion, prefers diplomatic solution - official
JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israel is ready for a ground invasion in the Gaza Strip but prefers a diplomatic solution, a senior official close to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Monday.
"We would prefer to see a diplomatic solution that would guarantee the peace for Israel's population in the south. If that is possible, then a ground operation would no longer be required," the official told Reuters. "But if diplomacy fails, we may well have no alternative but to send in ground forces."
(Writing by Jeffrey Heller, Editing by Crispian Balmer)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Trade deal seen 'very close', India makes WTO sweat
- Exit polls see gains for BJP in state elections
- Study casts doubt on whether extra vitamin D prevents disease
- Delhi's rubble-strewn Connaught Place mirrors Congress' election struggle
- U.S. television, Twitter, alive with new version of 'Sound of Music'
Nelson Mandela guided South Africa from the shackles of apartheid to multi-racial democracy, as an icon of peace and reconciliation who came to embody the struggle for justice around the world. Article | World mourns 'giant for justice'
U.S. says China air defense zone unacceptable, shouldn't be implemented. Full Article
France vows immediate action in Central African Republic after battle. Full Article