Israel ready for Gaza invasion, prefers diplomatic solution - official
JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israel is ready for a ground invasion in the Gaza Strip but prefers a diplomatic solution, a senior official close to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Monday.
"We would prefer to see a diplomatic solution that would guarantee the peace for Israel's population in the south. If that is possible, then a ground operation would no longer be required," the official told Reuters. "But if diplomacy fails, we may well have no alternative but to send in ground forces."
(Writing by Jeffrey Heller, Editing by Crispian Balmer)
Trending On Reuters
A young German co-pilot locked himself alone in the cockpit of a Germanwings airliner and flew it into a mountain with what appears to have been the intent to destroy it, a French prosecutor said on Thursday. Full Article | Video
- Yemeni leader Hadi leaves country as Saudi Arabia keeps up air strikes on Houthi rebels
- Putin says Western spies plot against Russia before polls
- U.S., Iran resume talks on preliminary nuclear deal as deadline looms
- U.S. special envoy says coalition "seriously degrading" Islamic State
- U.S. DEA agents had sex parties funded by drug cartels - watchdog