Israel ready for Gaza invasion, prefers diplomatic solution - official
JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israel is ready for a ground invasion in the Gaza Strip but prefers a diplomatic solution, a senior official close to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Monday.
"We would prefer to see a diplomatic solution that would guarantee the peace for Israel's population in the south. If that is possible, then a ground operation would no longer be required," the official told Reuters. "But if diplomacy fails, we may well have no alternative but to send in ground forces."
(Writing by Jeffrey Heller, Editing by Crispian Balmer)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 3-Seven arrested internationally in $1.6 million StubHub fraud
- Seven arrests made in $1.6 million StubHub cyberfraud case |
- UPDATE 2-Concordia finally heads for scrapyard after massive salvage operation
- TransAsia Airways stocks plunge after plane crashes in landing
- UPDATE 3-Ex-Jefferies trader gets 2 years in prison in fraud case
A domestic TransAsia Airways plane crashed on landing on an island off the west coast of tyhoon-hit Taiwan on Wednesday, killing 47 people, the Civil Aeronautics Administration said. Full Article