Metinvest denies deal to buy U.S. Steel's Slovak unit
BRATISLAVA/KIEV (Reuters) - Ukrainian mining group and steel producer Metinvest METIV.UL denied on Monday a weekend newspaper report that it has agreed to buy the Slovakian subsidiary of U.S. Steel Corp (X.N).
U.S. Steel Kosice, Slovakia's largest private employer with more than 11,000 staff, had already denied the same report, having said on Monday last week that investors had shown an interest.
"We did not buy," Metinvest's spokesperson Ivan Shmidik said on Monday.
On Saturday Slovak economic daily Hospodarske Noviny had said an agreement was signed late on Friday.
U.S. Steel Kosice is an important supplier for Slovakia's booming car industry, the key driver of the small and export-reliant economy and one of the European Union's fastest growing.
(Reporting by Pavel Polityuk in Kiev; Writing by Martin Santa; Editing by Greg Mahlich)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Alabama man sues, claiming penis amputated instead of circumcised
- French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane
- REFILE-Minnesota man asked to leave Southwest flight after critical tweet
- Wipro sees strong sales growth, eyes Europe deals
- Taiwan launches inquiry into plane crash that killed 48