Metinvest denies deal to buy U.S. Steel's Slovak unit
BRATISLAVA/KIEV (Reuters) - Ukrainian mining group and steel producer Metinvest METIV.UL denied on Monday a weekend newspaper report that it has agreed to buy the Slovakian subsidiary of U.S. Steel Corp (X.N).
U.S. Steel Kosice, Slovakia's largest private employer with more than 11,000 staff, had already denied the same report, having said on Monday last week that investors had shown an interest.
"We did not buy," Metinvest's spokesperson Ivan Shmidik said on Monday.
On Saturday Slovak economic daily Hospodarske Noviny had said an agreement was signed late on Friday.
U.S. Steel Kosice is an important supplier for Slovakia's booming car industry, the key driver of the small and export-reliant economy and one of the European Union's fastest growing.
(Reporting by Pavel Polityuk in Kiev; Writing by Martin Santa; Editing by Greg Mahlich)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 3-Turkish president rejects Facebook, YouTube ban over wiretaps
- Exclusive - Pimco's Gross declares El-Erian is 'trying to undermine me'
- UPDATE 3-MasterCard, Visa form group to push for better card security
- UPDATE 3-Ted Turner rushed to clinic in Argentina with appendicitis-media
- CEO in apparent suicide was bitcoin fan, had other issues, too