CAIRO U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called on Tuesday for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza and said an Israeli ground operation in the Palestinian enclave would be a "dangerous escalation" that must be avoided.
Ban was speaking at a news conference in Cairo after talks with Arab League chief Nabil Elaraby. Later on Tuesday, the U.N. secretary-general will travel to Israel for talks with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
(Writing by Edmund Blair; Editing by Andrew Osborn)
Trending On Reuters
The deadly air strike that hit a hospital in the Afghan city of Kunduz was a mistake made within the U.S. chain of command, the American commander of international forces in Afghanistan said on Tuesday. Full Article
- Nobel prize for solving puzzle of ghostly neutrino particles
- Islamic State kills 22 in attacks on Yemen govt, Gulf troops, mosque
- Ex-U.N. General Assembly president, 5 others charged in U.S. in bribe scheme
- How Iranian general plotted out Syrian assault in Moscow
- EU seeks Turkey help to block migrant flows, offers cash