CAIRO U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called on Tuesday for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza and said an Israeli ground operation in the Palestinian enclave would be a "dangerous escalation" that must be avoided.
Ban was speaking at a news conference in Cairo after talks with Arab League chief Nabil Elaraby. Later on Tuesday, the U.N. secretary-general will travel to Israel for talks with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
(Writing by Edmund Blair; Editing by Andrew Osborn)
Trending On Reuters
An Indonesian military transport plane crashed into a hotel and residential area in the northern Sumatra city of Medan on Tuesday, killing at least 30 people, a national search and rescue agency official said. Full Article
- U.S. spy agency wiretapped two French finance ministers - Wikileaks
- Car bomb in Yemeni capital hits mourners, dozens wounded
- Islamic State seen as potent force a year after caliphate declaration - Pentagon
- Amnesty slams Egypt over arrests of youths
- Man sets himself alight on Japan bullet train, second passenger dies - media