CAIRO U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called on Tuesday for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza and said an Israeli ground operation in the Palestinian enclave would be a "dangerous escalation" that must be avoided.
Ban was speaking at a news conference in Cairo after talks with Arab League chief Nabil Elaraby. Later on Tuesday, the U.N. secretary-general will travel to Israel for talks with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
(Writing by Edmund Blair; Editing by Andrew Osborn)
Trending On Reuters
Southeast Asian nations agreed on Friday to intensify search and rescue efforts to help vulnerable "boat people" stranded in the region's seas, as Myanmar said its navy had seized a vessel off its coast with more than 700 migrants aboard. Full Article
- Islamic State settles into Ramadi, but the lull unlikely to last
- Japanese island to be evacuated after volcano erupts
- Islamic State suicide bomber in women's garb kills three in Saudi Arabia
- Civilians emerge as pawns in South China Sea legal chess game
- New Nigerian president seeks to crush "godless" Boko Haram
Virtual reality film aims to raise funds by giving Nepal quake experience Full Article