U.N. chief warns Israel against Gaza incursion
CAIRO (Reuters) - U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called on Tuesday for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza and said an Israeli ground operation in the Palestinian enclave would be a "dangerous escalation" that must be avoided.
Ban was speaking at a news conference in Cairo after talks with Arab League chief Nabil Elaraby. Later on Tuesday, the U.N. secretary-general will travel to Israel for talks with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
(Writing by Edmund Blair; Editing by Andrew Osborn)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Quietly, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie say, 'I do'
- UPDATE 2-Abercrombie to shed logo-centric clothes in N. America
- Comedian Joan Rivers, 81, rushed to New York hospital
- UPDATE 3-Comedian Joan Rivers, 81, rushed to New York hospital
- U.S. strikes have slowed Iraq militants but not weakened them - Pentagon
Islamic State Threat
President Barack Obama said he has asked officials to prepare a range of U.S. military options for confronting Islamic State militants in Syria but said his strategy is still being developed. Full Article