Former Marcos aide charged with secretly keeping Monet painting

NEW YORK Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:55am IST

Priyanka Gandhi Vadra, daughter of Congress party chief Sonia Gandhi, adjusts her flower garlands as she campaigns for her mother during an election meeting at Rae Bareli in Uttar Pradesh April 22, 2014. REUTERS/Pawan Kumar

Election 2014

More than 814 million people — a number larger than the population of Europe — are eligible to vote in the world’s biggest democratic exercise.  Full Coverage 

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The former secretary to Imelda Marcos was indicted Tuesday in New York on charges of conspiring to sell artwork that the former Phillipine first lady acquired during her husband's presidency, including a Claude Monet water-lily painting.

The paintings, which the Philippine government claims it owns, disappeared around the time Phillipine President Ferdinand Marcos was forced from power a quarter century ago.

The ex-aide, Vilma Bautista, 74, a New York resident, was charged on Tuesday with conspiracy and other crimes. She pleaded not guilty in Manhattan state court and was released on $175,000 bond.

"Unfortunately, our client is in the middle of a dispute between the Phillipine government and the Marcos family that has been going on for years," attorney Fran Hoffinger said after the arraignment. "This is a civil dispute. It does not belong in criminal court."

Bautista is accused of secretly keeping and, with the help of two nephews, selling "Le Bassin aux Nymphease," one of Monet's "Water Lilies" series, to a London gallery in 2010 for $32 million, according to Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. The nephews also were charged in the case.

Other paintings Bautista is accused of secretly keeping are Monet's "L'Eglise et La Seine a Vetheuil," Alfred Sisley's "Langland Bay," and Albert Marquet's "Le Cypres de Djenan Sidi Said."

Imelda Marcos, known for her extravagant lifestyle and thousands of shoes, is not expected to face charges in the case, prosecutors said. Ferdinand Marcos died in 1989.

The Philippine government filed corruption charges against the strongman and his wife in 1987, seeking tens of billions of dollars in damages for plundering the nation's wealth, including illegal expensive works of art, clothes and jewelry. (Reporting By Karen Freifeld; Editing by Paul Thomasch and Cynthia Osterman)

Comments (0)
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.

  • Most Popular
  • Most Shared

HALL OF FAME

REUTERS SHOWCASE

Final Farewell

Final Farewell

Fans pay tribute to Nobel laureate Garcia Marquez in Mexico City.  Full Article 

Photo

Mixed Blessing

For 'Daily Show' alum Oliver, 'Last Week' is 'fresh turf to ruin'.  Full Article 

Lorde Unwell

Lorde Unwell

Illness spoils "Royals" singer Lorde's Australian tour.  Full Article 

Oscars 2015

Oscars 2015

Zadan, Meron invited back to produce 2015 Oscars show - Academy.  Full Article 

New Season

New Season

HBO backs tech comedy 'Silicon Valley' for second season.  Full Article 

Lohan Miscarriage

Lohan Miscarriage

Lindsay Lohan reveals miscarriage on finale of OWN series.  Full Article 

Fresh Allegations

Fresh Allegations

Man accusing 'X-Men' director of sex abuse sues more Hollywood execs.  Full Article 

Reuters India Mobile

Reuters India Mobile

Get the latest news on the go. Visit Reuters India on your mobile device.  Full Coverage