Domestic politics to drive rupee: HSBC
Reuters Market Eye - Domestic politics will increasingly drive the fate of the rupee, much like the Japanese yen or the euro, HSBC says in a note on Friday.
HSBC says its base case scenario is for the government to maintain its reform agenda, but warns the parliamentary process is "fraught with downside risks."
"This debate will be a litmus test for the INR and the reform process," HSBC writes. "If we were to a see a reversal of some of these recent reforms, it would undoubtedly put increasing weakening pressure on the INR."
HSBC expects "strong upward pressure" on the USD/INR should the reform process falter, but for the pair to retrace its recent gains should the government gain traction with its policies.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- TIMELINE-The search for missing Malaysian jet
- UPDATE 3-Republican Party wins Florida congressional seat in special election
- Wild theories fill void left by missing Malaysian plane
- Malaysia military source says missing jet veered to west
- Malaysia air force denies tracking missing jet to Strait of Malacca
Consumer inflation and industrial output data on Wednesday will likely offer little evidence of a respite from high inflation and weak economic growth before a general election that begins next month. Full Article