Domestic politics to drive rupee: HSBC
Reuters Market Eye - Domestic politics will increasingly drive the fate of the rupee, much like the Japanese yen or the euro, HSBC says in a note on Friday.
HSBC says its base case scenario is for the government to maintain its reform agenda, but warns the parliamentary process is "fraught with downside risks."
"This debate will be a litmus test for the INR and the reform process," HSBC writes. "If we were to a see a reversal of some of these recent reforms, it would undoubtedly put increasing weakening pressure on the INR."
HSBC expects "strong upward pressure" on the USD/INR should the reform process falter, but for the pair to retrace its recent gains should the government gain traction with its policies.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- U.S. strikes have slowed Iraq militants but not weakened them - Pentagon
- Mumbai hit by big power cuts after technical glitch at Tata Power unit
- Japan and India vow to boost defence ties during summit
- Sensex surges past 27,000 to third consecutive life high
- Putin comment on "taking Kiev in 2 weeks" taken out of context - aide