French minister denies nationalisations on the way

PARIS Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:02pm IST

Related Topics

Stocks

   

PARIS (Reuters) - French finance minister Pierre Moscovici denied on Tuesday that the government was contemplating mass nationalisations of its troubled industries, seeking to reassure investors after another minister told steel magnate Lakshmi Mittal on Monday that his company was no longer welcome in France.

Moscovici said after meeting U.S. and British investors that the Socialist government did not plan to nationalise any large firms permanently, despite a proposal to temporarily take over an ArcelorMittal (ISPA.AS) steelmaking site in northeast France to save two blast furnaces from closure.

"This is not about returning to an older way of thinking, carrying out massive, general, permanent nationalisations," Moscovici told reporters after a meeting that included delegates from Blackrock BARS.L, JP Morgan (JPM.N) and Morgan Stanley (MS.N).

"What is under consideration is a temporary mechanism," he said in reference to the ArcelorMittal site at Florange.

His comments came a day after Industry Minister Arnaud Montebourg told a newspaper in an interview: "We no longer want Mittal in France because they haven't respected France.

Last week Montebourg, one of the most left-wing ministers in the government, had already said the state could temporarily nationalise the company's Florange site while the government tries to find a buyer.

President Francois Hollande is due to meet Mittal at his Elysee Palace presidential office later on Tuesday in an attempt to mend ties with the billionaire, whose firm employs some 20,000 people across in France across over 100 sites.

Hollande's government has been locked for months in a dispute with ArcelorMittal over the fate of two blast furnaces at Florange, which Mittal says he will close down if no buyer is willing to take them over by December 1.

Montebourg has accused Mittal of breaking a 2006 commitment to keep the blast furnaces running and not considering offers from potential buyers to take over the site.

Sources close to Mittal say that no commitment to keep the blast furnaces running was ever made and that the firm is seeking to sell only the blast furnaces, not the whole site.

Talks between Hollande and Mittal at 1645 GMT were expected to focus on a solution to save some 600 jobs at the Florange site, which has been taken to symbolise France's alleged industrial decline.

(Writing by Nick Vinocur; Editing by Greg Mahlich)

FILED UNDER:

INTERNAL SECURITY

REUTERS SHOWCASE

Setback For Sahara

Setback For Sahara

Supreme Court defers verdict on Sahara plea to raise more debt on hotels  Full Article 

SpiceJet Crisis

SpiceJet Crisis

SpiceJet says fleet grounded on lack of fuel  Full Article 

Drug Patents

Drug Patents

Novartis sues Cipla over respiratory drug Onbrez   Full Article 

Boost for Tata Steel

Boost for Tata Steel

Tata Steel restarts key iron mines amid shortage  Full Article 

Reuters Poll

Reuters Poll

BSE Sensex to hit 32,980 by December 2015  Full Article 

India Outlook

India Outlook

ADB trims growth forecasts for developing Asia, says India to grow 5.5 pct in 2014  Full Article 

Real Estate

Real Estate

HDFC to raise $500 mln real estate private equity fund - sources  Full Article 

Banking Sector

Banking Sector

Japan banks to bulk up India presence on improving ties   Full Article 

U.S. Spending Bill

U.S. Spending Bill

Obama signs bill $1.1 trillion government spending bill  Full Article 

Reuters India Mobile

Reuters India Mobile

Get the latest news on the go. Visit Reuters India on your mobile device  Full Coverage