Gold prices hit lowest in nearly two weeks
MUMBAI (Reuters) - Gold importers in India, the world's biggest buyer of the metal, sprung back in action, accumulating stocks in small quantities, as prices fell to hit their lowest in nearly two weeks.
* Demand for the yellow metal in India during the wedding season, which will continue till early January, generally goes up during this period.
* The actively traded gold for December delivery on the Multi Commodity Exchange (MCX) extended losses for a third straight session. It was down 0.77 percent at 31,657 rupees per 10 grams, weighed down by a stronger rupee.
* The contract had struck a low of 31,590 rupees earlier in the session, a level last seen on November 16.
* "Demand is good as rates are reasonable. People are worried that prices could hit 32,500 in December," said Harshad Ajmera, proprietor of Kolkata-based wholesaler JJ Gold House.
* The rupee, which hit its highest level in a week on Thursday, plays an important role in determining the landed cost of the dollar-quoted yellow metal.
* Gold prices in the local market have gained 1.76 percent in November, helped by a weaker dollar overseas following a loose monetary policy stance by the U.S.
* Silver for December delivery fell more than 1 percent to 62,264 rupees per kg.
(Reporting by Siddesh Mayenkar; Editing by Prateek Chatterjee)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Boxer Sarita Devi faces action after refusing medal at Asian Games
- Boxer Sarita Devi showed lack of sportsmanship, say organisers
- UPDATE 8-Dallas Ebola patient vomited outside apartment on way to hospital
- Appointment of Arvind Subramanian as chief economic adviser hits Modi hurdle
- Amazon to sell packaged food and beverages in India - Economic Times
BACK IN JAIL
Subrata Roy, the jailed chief of India's Sahara conglomerate, is back in a cell after living in a makeshift prison office for two months as he tried to negotiate the sale of his luxury hotels, a jail official said. Full Article
Appointment of Arvind Subramanian as chief economic adviser hits Modi hurdle. Full Article
Diageo bars United Breweries from appointing independent director at United Spirits. Full Article