Year-end US fiscal deal must include debt limit hike - Reid
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - An increase in the U.S. debt limit must be part of any deal to resolve the looming "fiscal cliff" of year-end tax hikes and spending cuts, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said on Thursday.
Reid, a Democrat from Nevada, told reporters after meeting with U.S. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner that President Barack Obama won't sign any agreement that does not contain a debt limit hike. The Treasury is expected to reach its statutory borrowing limit around year-end, but could avoid default through emergency cash-management measures for several more weeks.
(Editing by Sandra Maler)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Indiana police charge suspect who may have killed for decades
- Oil falls below $86 as oversupply, global economy worries weigh
- Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow business jet accident
- UPDATE 2-Texas investor Sam Wyly files for bankruptcy after losing SEC fraud case
- UPDATE 6-Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow business jet accident
Jindal Steel and Power gains 7 percent, while Hindalco Industries is up 2.2 percent. India said on Monday it would auction off coal blocks after the Supreme Court cancelled allocations in August. Full Article | Related Story
Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow plane accident - airport spokeswoman. Full Article