Year-end US fiscal deal must include debt limit hike - Reid
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - An increase in the U.S. debt limit must be part of any deal to resolve the looming "fiscal cliff" of year-end tax hikes and spending cuts, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said on Thursday.
Reid, a Democrat from Nevada, told reporters after meeting with U.S. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner that President Barack Obama won't sign any agreement that does not contain a debt limit hike. The Treasury is expected to reach its statutory borrowing limit around year-end, but could avoid default through emergency cash-management measures for several more weeks.
(Editing by Sandra Maler)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Mediterranean diet may slow diabetes progression
- UPDATE 3-Soccer-English premier league results and standings
- India passes halfway mark in election with BJP gaining strength
- BJP heading for majority in general election: opinion poll
- Japan expands army footprint for first time in 40 years, risks angering China
Nitin Gadkari, former president of the Bharatiya Janata Party and a member of the BJP’s manifesto committee, speaks to Reuters. Here are the edited excerpts. Full Article
Turning smog into jewels - a Dutch designer's solution to Beijing's pollution. Video