BEIJING A Chinese court sentenced a man to death for holding six women as sex slaves in an underground prison and killing two of them, Xinhua news agency said on Friday.
Li Hao, 35, was convicted of murder and rape in Luoyang Intermediate People's Court in China's central Henan province, Xinhua said.
Media reported in 2011 that the former local government employee kidnapped six nightclub and karaoke bar workers and repeatedly raped them in a self-built dungeon. Two of the six were found dead when a 23-year-old woman escaped and led police to the basement.
Li forced them all into prostitution and filmed them in pornographic videos he put on the internet, Xinhua said. He then instructed three women to kill two of the other captives.
The three women were found guilty of murder but were given lenient sentences. One was jailed for three years and two were put on probation, Xinhua said.
(Reporting by Sally Huang and Michael Martina; Editing by Nick Macfie)
Trending On Reuters
Malaysia said on Sunday that airplane debris that washed up on the Indian Ocean island of Reunion has been identified as being from a Boeing 777, the same model as a Malaysian Airlines plane which vanished last year. Full Article
- Mullah Omar's family does not endorse new Taliban leader - statement
- Merkel's German conservatives set sights on absolute majority
- Kerry says United States, Egypt return to "stronger base" in ties
- Italy coast guard rescues 1,800 sea migrants, five found dead
- 13 hurt in shooting outside New York City house party