Wembley goalscorer Cole dies at age 27
LONDON (Reuters) - Mitchell Cole, who scored in the first competitive club game at the new Wembley Stadium, has died at the age of 27.
Cole, who found the net for Stevenage against Kidderminster in the 2007 FA Trophy final at Wembley, retired as a professional player last year because of a heart condition.
"We are sad to hear former Southend, Stevenage and Oxford player Mitchell Cole has passed away. Our thoughts are with his family and friends," the English Football League said on Twitter.
Cole was married to the sister of former England midfielder Joe Cole.
(Reporting by Toby Davis; editing by Ed Osmond)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Maker of U.S. highway guardrails stops shipments over safety concerns
- São Paulo running out of water as rain-making Amazon vanishes
- Woman isolated in NJ under Ebola rules tests negative
- Google's Pichai to oversee major products and services
- India picks Israel's Spike anti-tank missile over U.S. Javelin - source
Serena Williams, her insatiable will to win as strong as ever, regained her composure after smashing her racquet and being on the brink of defeat to beat Caroline Wozniacki 2-6 6-3 7-6(6) on Saturday and reach the title match at the WTA Finals. Full Article