Wembley goalscorer Cole dies at age 27
LONDON (Reuters) - Mitchell Cole, who scored in the first competitive club game at the new Wembley Stadium, has died at the age of 27.
Cole, who found the net for Stevenage against Kidderminster in the 2007 FA Trophy final at Wembley, retired as a professional player last year because of a heart condition.
"We are sad to hear former Southend, Stevenage and Oxford player Mitchell Cole has passed away. Our thoughts are with his family and friends," the English Football League said on Twitter.
Cole was married to the sister of former England midfielder Joe Cole.
(Reporting by Toby Davis; editing by Ed Osmond)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Alibaba surges 38 pct on massive demand in market debut
- UPDATE 3-Ebola lockdown brings Sierra Leone capital to a halt
- Eight bodies found after attack on Guinea Ebola education team
- UPDATE 9-Scots spurn independence in historic vote, devolution battle begins
- Scots spurn independence in historic vote, devolution battle begins
The 17th Asian Games opened in a multi-coloured blaze of fireworks and carefully crafted K-Pop routines on Friday, as athletes from the world's most populous region came together in pursuit of gold and glory in South Korea. Full Article