Wembley goalscorer Cole dies at age 27
LONDON (Reuters) - Mitchell Cole, who scored in the first competitive club game at the new Wembley Stadium, has died at the age of 27.
Cole, who found the net for Stevenage against Kidderminster in the 2007 FA Trophy final at Wembley, retired as a professional player last year because of a heart condition.
"We are sad to hear former Southend, Stevenage and Oxford player Mitchell Cole has passed away. Our thoughts are with his family and friends," the English Football League said on Twitter.
Cole was married to the sister of former England midfielder Joe Cole.
(Reporting by Toby Davis; editing by Ed Osmond)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- U.S. strikes have slowed Iraq militants but not weakened them - Pentagon
- Islamic State video purports to show beheading of U.S. journalist
- UPDATE 1-Pakistan crisis puts army back in the driving seat
- Pakistan crisis puts army back in the driving seat
- Landslides hit Japan's Hiroshima, killing at least 27 |
Captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni and coach Duncan Fletcher remain in place, but only time will tell if the appointment of Ravi Shastri as director of cricket is a temporary measure or a sign of deeper changes ahead in the Indian game. Full Article