'Can't promise' U.S. won't go over fiscal cliff - Geithner
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner said on Sunday that he "can't promise" that the United States won't go over so-called fiscal cliff, insisting it is up to congressional Republicans.
"That's a decision that lies in the hands of the Republicans that are now opposing an increase in tax rates," a key sticking point, Geithner told "Fox News Sunday."
House Speaker John Boehner, the top U.S. Republican, said later in a separate appearance on the show: "I don't want any part of going over the cliff. I'm going to do everything I can to avert that."
(Reporting by Thomas Ferraro; Editing by Jackie Frank)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Bangalore-bound Malaysian plane lands safely after landing gear scare
- UPDATE 2-Malaysia Airlines plane returns safely after landing gear scare
- On Easter, Pope calls for end to war, condemns waste exacerbating hunger
- Bangalore-bound Malaysia Airlines plane to make emergency landing
- Australia sees "regroup" on Malaysian plane search in a few days
Nitin Gadkari, former president of the Bharatiya Janata Party and a member of the BJP’s manifesto committee, speaks to Reuters. Here are the edited excerpts. Full Article