'Can't promise' U.S. won't go over fiscal cliff - Geithner
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner said on Sunday that he "can't promise" that the United States won't go over so-called fiscal cliff, insisting it is up to congressional Republicans.
"That's a decision that lies in the hands of the Republicans that are now opposing an increase in tax rates," a key sticking point, Geithner told "Fox News Sunday."
House Speaker John Boehner, the top U.S. Republican, said later in a separate appearance on the show: "I don't want any part of going over the cliff. I'm going to do everything I can to avert that."
(Reporting by Thomas Ferraro; Editing by Jackie Frank)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Billionaire investor Icahn steps up pressure on Apple
- UPDATE 3-Actor Walker died from multiple injuries in crash, 'Fast 7' filming halted
- UPDATE 4-German minister snubs Ukraine leaders on Kiev visit
- UPDATE 8-Soccer-English premier league top scorers
- Actor Walker died from multiple injuries in crash, 'Fast 7' filming halted |
Markets & Politics
The BSE Sensex rose as much as 2.2 percent on Thursday to approach a record high after exit polls predicted a strong showing for the key opposition party in state elections held since November. Full Article