Golf-Mickelson to start 2013 PGA Tour season at La Quinta

Thu Dec 6, 2012 2:32am IST

Dec 5 (Reuters) - Four-times major champion Phil Mickelson will launch his 2013 PGA Tour campaign at next month's Humana Challenge in La Quinta, California, tournament organisers said on Wednesday.

The American left-hander is the leading all-time money winner at the 72-hole pro-am celebrity event, previously known as the Bob Hope Classic, and won the title in 2002 and 2004.

"We're excited about it," Humana Challenge executive director Bob Marra said during a news conference at La Quinta. "He's a two-time winner here ... and he's Phil Mickelson.

"The legacy Phil has left on our event is undeniable, his popularity among our fans is remarkable. We could not be more pleased to have him start his season with us again."

Murra said that American world number nine Brandt Snedeker, the 2012 FedExCup champion, had also confirmed he would play in the Jan. 17-20 event in the California desert.

American Mark Wilson will be back to defend his Humana Challenge title, having triumphed by two shots at La Quinta in January. (Reporting by Mark Lamport-Stokes in Los Angeles; Editing by Frank Pingue)

  • Most Popular
  • Most Shared

REUTERS SHOWCASE

FIFA Slammed

FIFA Slammed

Triesman condemns FIFA as rogue state, calls for boycott.  Full Article 

Soccer Wrap

Soccer Wrap

Late Lavezzi goal sends champions PSG to the top.  Full Article | Related Story 

Culture Shock

Culture Shock

Late kickoffs a culture shock for new Sociedad boss Moyes.  Full Article 

Davis Cup

Davis Cup

Gael-force Monfils blows France back into final.  Full Article | Related Story 

Hamilton Ahead

Hamilton Ahead

Advantage Hamilton in Abu Dhabi practice  Full Article 

Racist Comment

Racist Comment

FA investigating Wigan owner Whelan's remarks   Full Article 

Formula One

Formula One

Rosberg needs Williams to pick up speed  Full Article 

Hall of Fame

Hall of Fame

Kewell, Hong, Daei among AFC's first Hall of Fame inductees  Full Article 

Relief For Zidane

Relief For Zidane

Zidane coaching ban overturned  Full Article 

Reuters India Mobile

Reuters India Mobile

Get the latest news on the go. Visit Reuters India on your mobile device  Full Coverage