ArcelorMittal says not permanently ditching ULCOS plan
PARIS (Reuters) - Steelmaker ArcelorMittal said on Thursday that an EU pilot project central to its deal with the government to save jobs at a site in northwestern France was not viable today for technical reasons, but it was not permanently ditching the scheme.
ArcelorMittal (ISPA.AS) earlier withdrew its application for the ULCOS project, which the government hoped could ensure a future for two idled blast furnaces at the Florange site.
"(This) is perfectly coherent with what is in the agreement signed with the French government," ArcelorMittal said in a statement after the European Commission said it had pulled its bid for ULCOS. "This in no way means the ULCOS project is being abandoned." (Reporting by Catherine Bremer; editing by Daniel Flynn)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 3-Pizza chain Sbarro files for bankruptcy protection
- U.S. top court declines to hear 'I (heart sign) boobies' case
- Ten countries scour sea for Malaysia jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- Evidence so far does not point to attack on Malaysian plane - sources
- Allianz lead insurer and Willis broker for Malaysia Airlines
The BSE Sensex ended up slightly on Monday after rising to a record high for a third consecutive session as strong foreign buying continued to boost domestic-focused shares such as those of HDFC Bank, but momentum waned as exporters slumped on a stronger currency. Full Article