Blast hits Syrian Red Crescent HQ in capital - Syria TV
BEIRUT (Reuters) - An explosion in front of the Damascus headquarters for the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) killed at least one person on Thursday, Syrian state television said.
Syria TV said "terrorists from al Qaeda" blew up an improvised explosive device in a car, causing damage to the SARC building. State media often refers to the rebels trying to topple President Bashar al-Assad as al Qaeda terrorists.
The Syrian Arab Red Crescent has come under fire several times, and members accuse both the government and Syrian rebels of attacks. (Reporting by Erika Solomon; editing by Patrick Graham)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 7-Court orders Russia to pay $50 bln for seizing Yukos assets
- UPDATE 3-Judge allows $2 bln sale of NBA's Los Angeles Clippers to proceed
- UPDATE 5-Property website Zillow to buy rival Trulia to cut costs
- Israel warns of long Gaza war as Palestinian fighters cross border
- UPDATE 6-Dollar Tree to buy Family Dollar to stave off competition
A fragile truce in Gaza for the Muslim Eid al-Fitr festival was fraying on Monday as Israel's prime minister said United Nations calls for a long-term ceasefire ignored his country's security needs. Full Article | Slideshow
Associate of dead S.Korea ferry boss arrested, children due to give evidence. Full Article