BOSTON South Korea, Singapore and Hong Kong lead the world in primary education, with their students posting the respective top performances in science, math and reading, according to two studies released on Tuesday.
Fourth-grade students in those countries performed well in all three subjects, with Russia, Finland and Taiwan also landing in the top 10 in all three categories according to the Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study and the Progress in International Reading Literacy Study, both of which were conducted by researchers at Boston College.
Researchers evaluated 63 countries' performance in science and math and 49 countries' performance in reading.
Rank Reading Math Science
1 Hong Kong Singapore South Korea
2 Russia South Korea Singapore
3 Finland Hong Kong Finland
4 Singapore Taiwan Japan
5 Northern Ireland Japan Russia
6 United States Northern Ireland Taiwan
7 Denmark Belgium * United States
8 Croatia Finland Czech Republic
9 Taiwan England Hong Kong
10 Ireland Russia Hungary
* Belgium ranking applies to Flemish-speaking schools
(Reporting By Scott Malone; Editing by Bill Trott)
Trending On Reuters
Southeast Asian nations agreed on Friday to intensify search and rescue efforts to help vulnerable "boat people" stranded in the region's seas, as Myanmar said its navy had seized a vessel off its coast with more than 700 migrants aboard. Full Article
- Islamic State settles into Ramadi, but the lull unlikely to last
- Japanese island to be evacuated after volcano erupts
- Islamic State suicide bomber in women's garb kills three in Saudi Arabia
- Civilians emerge as pawns in South China Sea legal chess game
- New Nigerian president seeks to crush "godless" Boko Haram
Virtual reality film aims to raise funds by giving Nepal quake experience Full Article