Reuters Market Eye - Nomura says India's external sector remains in a "precarious state" after data earlier in the day showed a trade deficit of $19.3 billion in November, underpinning the vulnerability of the rupee.
The trade deficit is narrower than an all-time high of $21 billion in October, but remains "worryingly high", according to Nomura.
A high trade deficit despite a sharp domestic slowdown reflects weak global demand, export bans, as well as rising commodity import prices, Nomura says.
Trending On Reuters
Thousands of Nepalese huddled under tents and sought scarce food and medical supplies on Monday, two days after a massive quake killed more than 3,200 people and overwhelmed authorities. Full Article | Slideshow
- Quake warnings of minutes, not hours, are possible, but pricey
- UNICEF says nearly a million children "severely affected" in Nepal
- Factbox - Foreigners in Nepal at time of deadly earthquake
- "Demons on the mountain"; survivors recall avalanche terror
- In Kathmandu Valley, quake-hit Nepalis fend for themselves