NATO calls North Korea rocket launch "provocative"
BRUSSELS (Reuters) - NATO strongly condemned North Korea's rocket launch on Wednesday, saying it went against U.N. Security Council resolutions and could destabilise the region surrounding Korea.
"This provocative act exacerbates tensions in the region and risks further destabilising the Korean peninsula," NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said in a statement.
"NATO continues to call on the North Korean authorities to fulfil their obligations under international law."
The rocket easily surpassed a failed April launch that flew for less than two minutes.
North Korea says the rocket will put a weather satellite into orbit. But the United States, South Korea and Japan have labelled it a test of technology that could one day deliver a nuclear warhead capable of hitting targets as far away as the continental United States.
NATO called last week for North Korea to cancel its planned launch of a rocket using ballistic missile technology.
Rasmussen said in his statement on Wednesday that North Korea should "comply fully with the will of the international community as expressed by the United Nations Security Council and the moratorium on missile launches".
(Reporting By Sebastian Moffett; editing by Rex Merrifield)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- India passes halfway mark in election with BJP gaining strength
- Search for Malaysia Airlines jet refocuses on drone scans of seafloor
- Borno state authorities say most of abducted schoolgirls still missing
- UPDATE 3-Putin talks tough on Ukraine but says he hopes for peace
- Acid attack survivor wins millions on 'Kaun Banega Crorepati'
KOREA FERRY TRAGEDY
Rescuers struggled with strong waves and murky waters on Thursday as they searched for hundreds of people, most of them teenagers from the same school, still missing after a South Korean ferry capsized 36 hours ago. Full Article
The Christian faithful celebrate Holy Week, the week which leads into Easter Sunday. Slideshow