Reuters Market Eye - The Sensex is up 0.25 percent while the Nifty gains 0.23 percent. Gains come after the wholesale price index rose a slower-than-expected 7.24 percent.
Stocks in rate-sensitive sectors such as banks and real estate are leading the gains on rising hopes the Reserve Bank of India will move towards easing interest rates starting early next year.
The RBI's next policy review is on December 18. Although the central bank is not expected to ease policy then, traders said they could cut the cash reserve ratio or sound more dovish on inflation.
ICICI Bank (ICBK.NS) gains 0.6 percent, while State Bank of India is up 1.7 percent.
In the real estate sector, DLF (DLF.NS) is up 1.3 percent while Unitech (UNTE.NS) gains 0.9 percent.
Trending On Reuters
Thousands of Nepalese huddled under tents and sought scarce food and medical supplies on Monday, two days after a massive quake killed more than 3,200 people and overwhelmed authorities. Full Article | Slideshow
- Quake warnings of minutes, not hours, are possible, but pricey
- UNICEF says nearly a million children "severely affected" in Nepal
- Factbox - Foreigners in Nepal at time of deadly earthquake
- "Demons on the mountain"; survivors recall avalanche terror
- In Kathmandu Valley, quake-hit Nepalis fend for themselves