Rate-sensitive stocks gain after WPI data
Reuters Market Eye - The Sensex is up 0.25 percent while the Nifty gains 0.23 percent. Gains come after the wholesale price index rose a slower-than-expected 7.24 percent.
Stocks in rate-sensitive sectors such as banks and real estate are leading the gains on rising hopes the Reserve Bank of India will move towards easing interest rates starting early next year.
The RBI's next policy review is on December 18. Although the central bank is not expected to ease policy then, traders said they could cut the cash reserve ratio or sound more dovish on inflation.
ICICI Bank (ICBK.NS) gains 0.6 percent, while State Bank of India is up 1.7 percent.
In the real estate sector, DLF (DLF.NS) is up 1.3 percent while Unitech (UNTE.NS) gains 0.9 percent.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- China building South China Sea island big enough for airstrip - report
- Obama signs order expanding U.S. Afghanistan role - NY Times
- Obama to be chief guest at Republic Day celebrations
- Pakistani family sentenced to death over "honour killing" outside court
- Long "to do" list for Modi as clock ticks on reform
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has a long list of pro-growth measures to implement over the next four months, but time may have already run out to breathe enough life into the economy to meet the tough 2014/15 fiscal deficit target without cuts. Article