BEIRUT At least 25 people were killed on Sunday when Syrian government forces attacked the town of Helfaya in Hama province with warplanes and artillery for the first time since February, opposition activists said.
A Youtube video showed at least three bodies lying in a street and several more inside cars, some disfigured beyond recognition. Body parts lay near walls and in a house nearby.
An activist who declined to be named said the town, a rebel stronghold, came under fire after insurgent fighters attacked several checkpoints just outside it.
(Reporting by Mariam Karouny; Editing by Tom Pfeiffer)
Trending On Reuters
Malaysia said on Sunday that airplane debris that washed up on the Indian Ocean island of Reunion has been identified as being from a Boeing 777, the same model as a Malaysian Airlines plane which vanished last year. Full Article
- Mullah Omar's family does not endorse new Taliban leader - statement
- Merkel's German conservatives set sights on absolute majority
- Kerry says United States, Egypt return to "stronger base" in ties
- Italy coast guard rescues 1,800 sea migrants, five found dead
- 13 hurt in shooting outside New York City house party