Connecticut survivors to attend school in neighboring town

NEWTOWN, Connecticut Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:58pm IST

A father carrying a boy, pauses at a makeshift memorial near the Sandy Hook Elementary School for the victims of a school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut early December 16, 2012. REUTERS/Mike Segar

A father carrying a boy, pauses at a makeshift memorial near the Sandy Hook Elementary School for the victims of a school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut early December 16, 2012.

Credit: Reuters/Mike Segar

Related Topics

NEWTOWN, Connecticut (Reuters) - The children who survived Friday's shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School will not have to return to the scene of the massacre when school reopens later this week and instead will attend classes in a neighboring Connecticut town, Newtown school officials said on Sunday.

It remains unclear when the 436 surviving students at Sandy Hook will return to class, but when they do it will be in an unused school about 7 miles (11 km) to the south in Monroe, Newtown School Superintendent Janet Robinson said.

"The Town of Monroe has graciously offered their Chalk Hill School," Robinson said in a statement. "This facility, which is currently not being used, is in excellent condition and will accommodate all of the Sandy Hill School students and staff.

"It is located just across the border from Newtown and should be ready for occupancy in just a few days."

All seven of Newtown's public schools, which serve more than 5,100 students, as well as private schools in the district, will be closed on Monday, school officials said late on Saturday.

Officials were scrambling for ways to accommodate surviving students from what had been the town's largest elementary school, serving 5- to 10-year-olds in kindergarten through fourth grade. The public school remains an active crime scene.

A Newtown police officer expressed doubt the school could ever be used again.

"At this time it's too early to say. But I would find it very difficult for them to do that. Certainly that's one of the things they're going to have to look into," Lieutenant George Sinko of the Newtown police said at a news conference on Sunday.

Twenty Sandy Hook first graders were killed on Friday when a 20-year-old man armed with an assault weapon and two hand guns shot his way into the school and opened fire.

Six adults, including the school principal, were also killed at the school. The gunman killed his mother and himself for a total death toll of 28 people.

In place of school on Monday, town officials said children would be able to attend a day of recreational activities hosted by local sports organizations at the Newtown Youth Academy, a private athletic facility in town.

All schools in the town other than Sandy Hook School will reopen on Tuesday.

(Reporting by Dan Burns; additional writing by Phil Wahba; editing by Will Dunham and Todd Eastham)

FILED UNDER:
Comments (0)
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.

  • Most Popular
  • Most Shared

MH17 CRASH

REUTERS SHOWCASE

Suicide Attack

Suicide Attack

Three foreign advisers killed near Kabul airport.  Full Article 

Gaza Crisis

Gaza Crisis

Israel keeps up Gaza assaults, Kerry presses for truce.  Full Article 

Typhoon Matmo

Typhoon Matmo

Philippines raises storm alert level as Matmo churns toward Taiwan.  Full Article 

Inside Thailand

Inside Thailand

Thai junta leader to meet king over interim constitution.  Full Article 

Shooting Scars

Shooting Scars

Norway, survivors still bear scars of Breivik shootings.  Full Article 

Presidential Polls

Presidential Polls

Indonesian leader urges presidential election loser to concede.  Full Article 

Reuters India Mobile

Reuters India Mobile

Get the latest news on the go. Visit Reuters India on your mobile device.  Full Coverage