Schools in two other Connecticut towns in lockdown
REUTERS - Schools in two Connecticut towns were in lockdown on Monday, the first day children returned to class since Friday's massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown.
All schools in Ridgefield, Connecticut, were in lockdown because of a suspicious person who might be armed, police said. In nearby Redding, schools were locked down as a precaution, police said.
Ridgefield is about 20 miles (30 km) from Newtown, site of Friday's elementary school massacre where a gunman shot dead 20 children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
"We're looking for a suspicious person at an elementary school," said a dispatcher at the Ridgefield Police Department.
State police in Newtown were aware of the situation, and said local police were handling it.
"I'm aware of that situation in the town of Ridgefield. ... There's a report of a suspicious person, a suspicious person that may or may not be armed," Lieutenant Paul Vance of Connecticut State Police told a news conference.
In Redding, about 10 miles (16 km) from Newtown, police gave no indication of whether there was a threat.
"Schools are in lockdown as a precautionary measure, that's all I can say," a Redding police dispatcher said. (Reporting by Daniel Trotta; Editing by Mohammad Zargham)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- OPEC oil output hits highest since 2012 on Libya, Saudi-Reuters Survey
- With iPhone 6 approved in China, Apple suppliers ready for demand
- Energy, manufacturing to lead Modi, Obama talks
- Modi promises U.S. CEOs a return to market reforms
- Kurds seize Iraq/Syria border post; Sunni tribe joins fight against Islamic State
Hong Kong Protests
Tens of thousands of pro-democracy protesters filled the streets of Hong Kong late on Tuesday, stockpiling supplies and erecting makeshift barricades ahead of what some fear may be a push by police to clear the roads before Chinese National Day. Full Article | Slideshow
- Hong Kong protesters stockpile supplies, fear fresh police advance
- Taiwan says China risks hurting ties if it mishandles Hong Kong protests
- Britain tells China: Seek peace in Hong Kong and allow freedoms
- Hong Kong pro-democracy academics say face death threats, intimidation
- Video: Hong Kong protesters prepare for long-haul
Kurds seize Iraq/Syria border post; Sunni tribe joins fight against Islamic State Full Article