Rupee edges up; RBI policy in focus
Reuters Market Eye - The rupee is trading at 54.78/79 versus its previous close of 54.84/86 as traders await the Reserve Bank of India's policy decision at 11.00 a.m. for direction.
Markets are broadly positioned for a status quo at the policy review but a surprise rate cut can boost shares and indirectly hurt the USD/INR.
Asian shares edge up tracking overnight gains in U.S. stocks, as fresh signs of compromise maintain a new optimism that the U.S. "fiscal cliff" budget tussle could be settled before tax hikes and spending cuts begin to bite early next year.
USD/INR is seen moving in a 54.70 to 54.90 band until the policy review.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- U.S. strikes have slowed Iraq militants but not weakened them - Pentagon
- Japan and India vow to boost defence ties during summit
- Government urges court to leave some coal blocks with companies
- Ukraine accuses Russia of "undisguised aggression" as rebels advance
- UPDATE 9-Pakistani protesters clash with police, soldiers secure state TV
The Nifty surged past the psychologically important 8,000 level for the first time on Monday as blue-chips such as ICICI Bank gained after better-than-expected quarterly economic growth data. Full Article
Government urges Supreme Court to not cancel some 'illegal' coal mines Full Article