Rupee edges up; RBI policy in focus
Reuters Market Eye - The rupee is trading at 54.78/79 versus its previous close of 54.84/86 as traders await the Reserve Bank of India's policy decision at 11.00 a.m. for direction.
Markets are broadly positioned for a status quo at the policy review but a surprise rate cut can boost shares and indirectly hurt the USD/INR.
Asian shares edge up tracking overnight gains in U.S. stocks, as fresh signs of compromise maintain a new optimism that the U.S. "fiscal cliff" budget tussle could be settled before tax hikes and spending cuts begin to bite early next year.
USD/INR is seen moving in a 54.70 to 54.90 band until the policy review.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- India starts biggest day of voting with BJP gaining strength
- UPDATE 3-Google misses revenue target, ad prices slide
- UPDATE 3-Hundreds still missing in deadly Korea ferry accident
- HCL Tech March-quarter net up 59 percent, beats f'casts
- UPDATE 2-Leash on expenses helps AmEx counter muted user spending
India kicked off the biggest day of its mammoth general election on Thursday, with a quarter of its 815 million voters set to head to the polls during a week of fresh blows for the Congress party and gains for the Hindu nationalist opposition. Full Article | Full Coverage