Connecticut governor says he told parents their children killed

Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:20am IST

Dannel Malloy, Governor of Connecticut speaks to mourners gathererd inside the St. Rose of Lima Roman Catholic Church at a vigil service for victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting that left at least 27 people dead - many of them young children - in Newtown, Connecticut, December 14, 2012. REUTERS/Andrew Gombert/Pool

Dannel Malloy, Governor of Connecticut speaks to mourners gathererd inside the St. Rose of Lima Roman Catholic Church at a vigil service for victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting that left at least 27 people dead - many of them young children - in Newtown, Connecticut, December 14, 2012.

Credit: Reuters/Andrew Gombert/Pool

Related Topics

REUTERS - Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy broke down into tears on Monday as he recalled how, hours after a shooting rampage at a Connecticut elementary school, he took it upon himself to tell parents and other relatives that their children had been killed.

Malloy said he met with a roomful of family members near Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, following the massacre of 20 children and six adults there on Friday and found that many were still waiting for official word on the fate of their loved ones.

"It was evident to me that there was a reluctance to tell parents and loved ones that the person they were waiting for was not going to return," Malloy said in an emotional press conference.

"That had gone on for a period of time well after there was an expectancy that families would be reunited," he added.

Malloy paused several times during his remarks as he choked up and wiped away tears.

"So I made a decision that rather than relying on traditional investigative policies - that you actually have a child or an adult identified as the particular victim before you inform someone or at least give them the information by which they can formulate for themselves that their loved one was not going to return - I made the decision that to have that go on any longer was wrong. I did it," he said.

Malloy spoke to reporters as the funerals of two 6-year-old boys on Monday ushered in a week of memorial services and burials for victims of the mass shooting.

Police said 20-year-old Adam Lanza killed his mother, Nancy, at her home on Friday before shooting his way into the school and opening fire on students and teachers. He shot himself to death in the school following the rampage, authorities say.

He had attended Sandy Hook as a child, according to former classmates. Authorities said on Monday he had no current connection with the school. (Writing by Dan Whitcomb; Editing by Cynthia Johnston and Andrew Hay)

FILED UNDER:
Comments (0)
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.

  • Most Popular
  • Most Shared

UKRAINE CRISIS

REUTERS SHOWCASE

Happy Easter

Happy Easter

Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter.  Full Article 

Ferry Tragedy

Ferry Tragedy

Prosecutors extend Korea ferry captain's detention as death toll mounts.  Full Article 

Journalists Return

Journalists Return

Joyful homecoming for 4 French journalists after Syria captivity.  Full Article 

S. Africa Elections

S. Africa Elections

South Africa's ANC set for two-thirds majority - poll.  Full Article 

Everest Tragedy

Everest Tragedy

Death toll climbs in worst tragedy on Everest  Full Article 

Missing Plane

Missing Plane

Current underwater search for Malaysia plane could end within a week  Full Article 

Ukraine Crisis

Ukraine Crisis

Putin welcomes new NATO head, says better ties with West possible  Full Article 

Japan Military

Japan Military

Japan expands army footprint for first time in 40 years, risks angering China  Full Article 

Reuters India Mobile

Reuters India Mobile

Get the latest news on the go. Visit Reuters India on your mobile device.  Full Coverage