Clinton accepts Benghazi findings, orders broad changes
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said on Tuesday she accepted the findings of an independent panel that faulted the State Department over the deadly September attack on the U.S. mission in Benghazi, Libya, and had ordered widespread changes to bolster U.S. diplomatic security overseas.
Clinton said in a letter to U.S. congressional committees that she had instructed the State Department to implement its findings "quickly and completely" and outlined a series of steps aimed at improving the security of U.S. diplomatic outposts.
The United States would send hundreds of additional Marine guards to overseas posts, ask for more money for security improvements and name a new State Department official to oversee "high threat posts," she said.
(Reporting By Andrew Quinn; editing by Christopher Wilson)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
Korean Ferry Tragedy
South Korean President Park Geun-hye said on Monday the actions of the captain and crew of a ferry that sank last week with hundreds feared dead were tantamount to murder, as authorities arrested four more officers of the vessel. Full Article
Former army chief, leftist are only candidates in Egypt presidential poll. Full Article