World Music Awards postponed due to visa issues, Newtown tragedy

LOS ANGELES Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:26am IST

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The World Music Awards was postponed on Thursday due to "logistical and multiple visa issue," organizers said, two days before the event was scheduled to be held in Miami.

Event producers John Martinotti and Marcol International said in a statement that the December 22 awards ceremony also was being delayed in the wake of the elementary school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, last week.

"We are sorry for any inconvenience but this decision had to be made due to logistical and multiple visa issues and in view of this week's national mourning. Fans have been a great support to the artists and have voted online in huge numbers," the producers said in a statement.

The winners in categories ranging from world's best song, world's best artists and entertainer of the year, are picked by fans who vote online. The statement said that votes will continue to be collected until a new date is set for the show.

This year's nominees include Usher, Justin Bieber, Nicki Minaj, Rihanna and Chris Brown. Past winners include Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey and Michael Jackson.

The awards ceremony, founded in 1989 and hosted by Monaco's Prince Albert II, has primarily taken place in Monte Carlo and proceeds from the show go to charity. This year, show producers decided to move it to Marlins Park Stadium in Miami.

(Reporting By Piya Sinha-Roy, editing by Eric Kelsey)

Comments (0)
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.

  • Most Popular
  • Most Shared

BOX OFFICE

REUTERS SHOWCASE

"Hurricane" Dies

"Hurricane" Dies

Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, U.S. boxer famous in folk song, dies at 76.  Full Article 

Film Festival

Film Festival

Sun, yachts and stars beckon visitors to Cannes.  Full Article 

Royal Tour

Royal Tour

Britain's Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit beach in Sydney.  Video 

On Trial

On Trial

Singer Chris Brown's assault trial delayed to next week.  Full Article 

Reuters India Mobile

Reuters India Mobile

Get the latest news on the go. Visit Reuters India on your mobile device.  Full Coverage