MOSCOW Vladimir Putin is not worried by prophecies the world might end on Friday because he knows it has another 4.5 billion years left.
"I know when the world will end ... In about 4.5 billion years," the Russian president said in response to a question about the timing of his annual news conference, held on the eve of what according to New Age prophecies might be doomsday.
He explained his calculation by saying the world was at the centre of the Sun's "functioning cycle" of seven billion to 14 billion years, and this meant the Sun would turn into a white dwarf in 4.5 billion years.
"What is there to be afraid of if it's inevitable?" he said.
An era in the Maya Long Count calendar is due to end at sunrise on December 21, an event interpreted by some groups as the end of days.
(Reporting by Timothy Heritage; Editing by Sophie Hares)
Trending On Reuters
A ferry carrying 189 passengers and crew capsized off the central Philippines in heavy waves on Thursday, killing at least 36 people but the majority of those on board were rescued, the coast guard and police said. Full Article
- More than 100 dead as militants, Egyptian army clash in North Sinai
- Thousands evacuated after freight train derails, catches fire, in Tennessee
- Eight dead in new Saudi-led strikes on Yemen's Sanaa - agency
- North Korean defector lifts lid on world's most secret state
- "Wow, pulled back wrong throttle" - captain of crashed TransAsia plane
India to spend $8 billion to boost irrigation, reduce dependence on monsoon Full Article
"Wow, pulled back wrong throttle" - captain of crashed TransAsia plane Full Article