Gold prices drop to four-month low
MUMBAI (Reuters) - Gold demand in India, the world's biggest buyer of the metal, improved on Friday as prices in the spot market fell to a near four-month low, luring jewellers preparing for the wedding season.
* The yellow metal was trading around 30,638 rupees per 10 grams, the lowest since August 30, in the spot market.
* "Jewellers are active in the market. Investment demand is still weak," said a Mumbai-based dealer with a state-run bank.
* "Gold is trading above 30,000 rupees. If it falls below 30,000 rupees, then we can see a significant improvement in retail demand. Sentiments will change," the dealer said.
* The wedding season will continue till early January and gold is an important gift item at marriages.
* The actively traded gold contract for February delivery on the Multi Commodity Exchange was 0.85 percent higher at 30,740 rupees per 10 grams as of 3:50 p.m., after falling to 30,370 rupees on Thursday night.
* The rupee, which fell nearly 1 percent on Friday, plays an important role in determining the landed cost of the dollar-quoted yellow metal.
* Overseas gold slipped, holding near a four-month low hit in the previous session and on track for its steepest weekly drop since June, as the euro softened and U.S. talks to avoid a fiscal crisis stalled again.
* March silver contract was up 0.98 percent at 57,915 rupees per kg.
(Reporting by Rajendra Jadhav; Editing by Subhranshu Sahu)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- U.S. nurse quarantined over Ebola calls treatment "frenzy of disorganization"
- Google executive sets new stratosphere skydive world record
- Wall Street finally turning on Amazon as Bezos magic fades
- Former Cream frontman Jack Bruce dies aged 71
- São Paulo running out of water as rain-making Amazon vanishes
Finance Minister Arun Jaitley favours a cut in interest rates to trigger demand in the construction sector, a newspaper report said on Saturday, but the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has signalled it will not ease policy until it is confident of lower inflation. Full Article
Euro zone risks "relapse into recession" without structural reforms - Draghi. Full Article
Kalki Koechlin on her role as a disabled girl in “Margarita, With a Straw” Full Article