Matri hits late double to salvage win for Juve
REUTERS - Substitute Alessandro Matri struck twice, including a winner in stoppage time, as Serie A leaders Juventus hit back to win 3-1 at 10-man Cagliari on Friday.
Cagliari took the lead when Chile's Arturo Vidal fouled Marco Sau in the area and Chilean striker Mauricio Pinilla dispatched the 16th-minute penalty.
Juve kept knocking on the door and after Davide Astori was sent off for two bookings midway through the second half, Matri pounced on two rebounds to score before Mirko Vucinic made it three, also in added time.
The game was played in Parma after authorities ruled Cagliari's ground was unsafe for such a high-profile fixture against the champions and league leaders, who can see their 10-point lead cut by the likes of Inter Milan on Saturday.
In Friday's other Serie A match, Pescara climbed out of the drop zone after Romulo Togni netted his first league goal with a stoppage-time free kick to seal a 2-1 home win over Catania. (Writing by Mark Meadows, editing by Ed Osmond)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 2-U.S. exits GM stake, taxpayers lose $10 billion
- China-Brazil satellite launch fails, likely fell back to Earth
- UPDATE 2-U.S. household net worth hits record high in Q3
- UPDATE 1-Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac to hike mortgage guarantee fees
- UPDATE 2-U.S. to fly African troops to Central African Republic to ease violence
A ruthless Australia rattled through England's final four wickets on Monday to complete an emphatic 218-run victory in the second Ashes test and push the tourists to the brink of a humiliating series defeat. Full Article