PM pledges action after gang rape victim's death
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said on Saturday he was deeply saddened by the death of a woman who had been gang-raped in New Delhi and he pledged to channel emotions surrounding the case into concrete action.
The case had generated "emotions and energies" among young Indians seeking changes in society, he said in a statement after the announcement of the 23-year-old woman's death in a Singapore hospital.
"It would be a true homage to her memory if we are able to channelize these emotions and energies into a constructive course of action."
(Writing by Ron Popeski; Editing by Mark Bendeich)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 8-Israel pounds Gaza despite international peace efforts
- UPDATE 3-Comcast profit boosted by internet subscriber growth, NBC
- Italy gives Google 18 months to change data use practices
- China's Xiaomi hopes Mi 4 smartphone can take on Apple
- Harley-Davidson, a U.S. icon, highlights offshoring's perils
Supreme Court could allow Sahara boss to conduct asset sale talks, company says. Full Article