Six held over rape of woman in Delhi charged with murder: police
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Six suspects held in connection with the rape of a woman in India have been charged with murder after she died on Saturday of injuries sustained in the attack, police said.
"They have been charged (with murder)," said Rajan Bhagat, a spokesman for New Delhi police.
The 23-year-old woman, who was gang-raped on a New Delhi bus on December 16, died in hospital in Singapore. The attack has sparked protests and a national debate about violence against women. All six suspects in the rape have been arrested and are in custody.
(Reporting by Devidutta Tripathy; Editing by Robert Birsel)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 5-Hezbollah says commander killed in Beirut, blames Israel
- Exit polls see gains for BJP in state elections
- U.S. court questions Google defense against Oracle over Android
- Delhi's rubble-strewn Connaught Place mirrors Congress' election struggle
- UPDATE 5-Biden calls for trust with China amid airspace dispute
The Hindu nationalist opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) emerged as the biggest winner in four key state elections, exit polls forecast on Wednesday, a possible blow to the ruling Congress ahead of a general election due next year. Full Article