Mancini plays down latest clash with Balotelli

LONDON Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:33pm IST

Manchester City's manager Roberto Mancini (C) arrives for a training session at the Carrington training facility in Manchester, northern England, January 4, 2013. REUTERS/Darren Staples

Manchester City's manager Roberto Mancini (C) arrives for a training session at the Carrington training facility in Manchester, northern England, January 4, 2013.

Credit: Reuters/Darren Staples

Kishore Pandey, 82, lies on a bed as his daughter, Usha Tiwari, holds him and a priest stands by them (L) at Mukti Bhavan (Salvation House) in Varanasi, in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, June 19, 2014. REUTERS/Danish Siddiqui

Waiting to die at Salvation House

The city of Varanasi is Hinduism's holiest city and many Hindus believe that dying there and having their remains scattered in the Ganges allows their soul to escape a cycle of death and rebirth.  Slideshow 

LONDON (Reuters) - Despite photographs of Roberto Mancini's latest clash with Mario Balotelli featuring on the front pages of Britain's tabloid newspapers on Friday, the Manchester City manager does not believe the relationship between the two Italians is at breaking point.

Mancini was labelled "Madcini" in The Sun next to a photo of him grappling with Balotelli in training on Thursday while most papers reached the conclusion that Balotelli's troubled time at the English champions was up.

Yet Mancini played down the training ground incident on Friday, saying reaction to it had been overblown.

"Mario made a tackle on his team mate that I would prefer to see in a game and not against a team mate," Mancini told reporters. "I asked him to leave the pitch - he said no so I moved him off.

"That's all that happened and it was nothing more than that."

Last month Balotelli withdrew his appeal against disciplinary action taken against him by the Premier League champions, accepting a fine of two weeks' wages for a series of well-documented misdemeanours on and off the pitch last season.

However, harmony still appears to be in short supply with Mancini again being asked whether the Italy international still has a future at the club.

"Nothing has changed between Mario and me and my thoughts have not changed about him and these things happen from time to time," he said.

"Will Mario have more chances? I will give him 100 chances as long as I can see him trying to improve and working hard for this football club."

(Reporting by Martyn Herman; Editing by John Mehaffey)

Comments (0)
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.

  • Most Popular
  • Most Shared

Commonwealth Games

SPORTS SHOWCASE

Fastest Man

Fastest Man

Interview - Usain Bolt says his best is yet to come.  Full Article 

After 23 Years

After 23 Years

Mexico is back on the F1 calendar in 2015.  Full Article 

NBA Update

NBA Update

NBA great LeBron James sends 800 cupcake apologies to hometown.  Full Article 

Zidane Takes Charge

Zidane Takes Charge

Zidane makes mystery man Markkanen his first Madrid signing.  Full Article 

Rising Star?

Rising Star?

Bhuvneshwar Kumar’s pursuit of cricketing excellence.  Full Article 

Dismissing Reports

Dismissing Reports

I'm not heading to PSG, says ex-Juventus boss Conte.  Full Article 

2016 Olympics

2016 Olympics

Interview - World Cup will inspire Rio Olympics - IOC's Bach.  Full Article 

Reuters India Mobile

Reuters India Mobile

Get the latest news on the go. Visit Reuters India on your mobile device.  Full Coverage