RIO DE JANEIRO A cat carrying a saw and a mobile phone was "detained" as it entered a prison gate in northeast Brazil, Brazilian media reported on Saturday.
Prison guards were surprised when they saw a white cat crossing the main gate of the prison, its body wrapped with tape. A closer look showed the feline also carried drills, an earphone, a memory card, batteries and a phone charger.
All 263 detainees in the prison of Arapiraca, a city of 215,000 people in the state of Alagoas, are considered suspect in the plot, which is being investigated by local police.
"It's tough to find out who's responsible for the action as the cat doesn't speak," a prison spokesperson told local paper Estado de S.Paulo.
The cat was taken to an animal disease center to receive medical care.
The incident took place on New Year's day but was first reported by national media on Saturday.
(Reporting by Walter Brandimarte; Editing by Vicki Allen)
Trending On Reuters
“Welcome Back” is sporadically funny, one that ebbs and flows; but it just about passes the ‘guilty pleasure’ test thanks to Anil Kapoor and Nana Patekar, writes Shilpa Jamkhandikar. Full Article
- Depp says he mined his 'inner evil' to play gangster Bulger
- Family jokes and school struggles, film shows private side of Malala
- With Teddy by his side, Mr Bean fetes 25 years with London drive
- Tom Hardy takes on London gangster Kray twins in "Legend"
- Portman's directorial debut is a bitter-sweet Israeli homecoming