LONDON British Foreign Secretary William Hague accused Syrian President Bashar al-Assad of hypocrisy and said his call in a speech on Sunday for a peace initiative to end the civil war would fool no one.
"Assad speech beyond hypocritical. Deaths, violence and oppression engulfing Syria are his own making, empty promises of reform fool no one," he said in a message on Twitter.
(Reporting by Tim Castle; Editing by Janet Lawrence)
Trending On Reuters
Iraq's Shi'ite paramilitaries said on Tuesday they had taken charge of the campaign to drive Islamic State from the western province of Anbar, giving the operation an openly sectarian codename that could infuriate its Sunni Muslim population. Full Article
- Palmyra's ancient ruins unharmed for now - Syria antiquities chief
- China to extend military reach, build lighthouses in disputed waters
- In Malaysian trafficking camp, evidence of abuse and fear
- Boko Haram kill at least 43 in Nigeria's Borno state - witnesses
- Only new refugees to benefit from EU quotas in migrant crisis - draft
Tata Motors net profit down 56 pct as Jaguar Land Rover Chinese sales drop Full Article
Iraq Shi'ite militia take lead in campaign to reverse Islamic State gains Full Article