LONDON British Foreign Secretary William Hague accused Syrian President Bashar al-Assad of hypocrisy and said his call in a speech on Sunday for a peace initiative to end the civil war would fool no one.
"Assad speech beyond hypocritical. Deaths, violence and oppression engulfing Syria are his own making, empty promises of reform fool no one," he said in a message on Twitter.
(Reporting by Tim Castle; Editing by Janet Lawrence)
Trending On Reuters
President Tayyip Erdogan said on Wednesday Turkey did not want any escalation after it shot down a Russian fighter jet, saying it had acted simply to defend its own security and the "rights of our brothers" in Syria. Full Article
- Russia to bolster Syria base, eyes economic retaliation against Turkey
- Brussels schools, metro reopen under tight security
- 2015 set to be hottest on record, 2016 even hotter due to El NiÃ±o - U.N.
- Tunisia says suicide bomber behind bus attack that killed 13
- Chicago charges officer in black teen's death, releases video of shooting