Ronaldo shocked by Boateng racism episode
ZURICH (Reuters) - Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo said it was incredible that episodes of racism still happen in soccer stadiums after AC Milan abandoned a friendly in Italy last week because of offensive chants by spectators.
However, the Portuguese forward was non-committal over Milan midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng's decision to walk off the pitch over racist insults during the match against lower tier Pro Patria, saying it was a "personal decision."
"I think this cannot happen at this moment in football because FIFA and UEFA speak about fair play and against racism, it's incredible, it cannot exist," the Ronaldo told a news conference before the FIFA Ballon D'Or Award on Monday.
"It's just a football match, and people should not find this kind of thing in the stadium."
"We should live in peace, all of us," he added.
Referring to Ghanaian Boateng and whether he would support a walkoff in the future, Ronaldo said: "It's a very personal decision, it's his opinion.
"There are various examples in stadiums and sometimes we have to live with these people who might not be very balanced.
"I can't give you a concrete response, it depends on the person and on how he feels at the time."
(Writing by Brian Homewood in Berne; Editing By Alison Wildey)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Google's Pichai to oversee major products and services
- Modi takes tea, but no questions, in first press event as PM
- UPDATE 2-Motor racing-Caterham and Marussia to miss next races - Ecclestone
- Two killed, four wounded in Washington state school shooting
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley favours interest rate cut - paper
Rafa Nadal's announcement on Friday that he will miss the ATP World Tour Finals because of appendicitis ended a difficult year for the Spaniard during which he has endured injury, illness and worrying defeats. Full Article