Google offers New York City neighborhood free WiFi
REUTERS - Google Inc (GOOG.O) and a New York redevelopment organization are providing a Manhattan neighborhood with free public WiFi Internet access, making it the largest area of coverage in New York City.
The search giant and the non-profit Chelsea Improvement Co are making Internet access available outdoors in Chelsea, which is home to Google's New York offices and several technology start-ups.
The neighborhood is also home to many students, as well as residents of one of the city's public housing developments.
Google does not plan to extend the program, a company spokesman said on Tuesday.
The company also provides free Internet access to the city of Mountain View, California, where its main campus is located.
New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and U.S. Senator Charles Schumer helped unveil the initiative.
(Reporting by Jennifer Saba in New York; Editing by Dan Grebler)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed in South China Sea
- Malaysian plane with 239 aboard crashes - report
- UPDATE 3-U.S. FDA probes cognitive impact of new cholesterol drugs
- CORRECTED-UPDATE 4-Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard - report
- Ukraine standoff intensifies; Russia says sanctions will 'boomerang'
A Japanese American man thought to be the reclusive multi-millionaire father of Bitcoin emerged from a modest Southern California home and denied involvement with the digital currency before leading reporters on a freeway car chase to the local headquarters of the Associated Press. Full Article