Google offers New York City neighborhood free WiFi
REUTERS - Google Inc (GOOG.O) and a New York redevelopment organization are providing a Manhattan neighborhood with free public WiFi Internet access, making it the largest area of coverage in New York City.
The search giant and the non-profit Chelsea Improvement Co are making Internet access available outdoors in Chelsea, which is home to Google's New York offices and several technology start-ups.
The neighborhood is also home to many students, as well as residents of one of the city's public housing developments.
Google does not plan to extend the program, a company spokesman said on Tuesday.
The company also provides free Internet access to the city of Mountain View, California, where its main campus is located.
New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and U.S. Senator Charles Schumer helped unveil the initiative.
(Reporting by Jennifer Saba in New York; Editing by Dan Grebler)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Branson to meet Virgin Galactic space team after crash
- Nigeria's purported Boko Haram leader says has "married off" girls - AFP
- Army officer takes charge in Burkina Faso, ousting general
- Group says piece of metal found on Pacific island is from Earhart's plane
- SEBI piles pressure on Sahara to sell overseas hotels
Richard Branson is set to meet his Virgin Galactic space team in California's Mojave Desert on Saturday following the crash of a passenger spaceship being developed by his company that killed one pilot and seriously injured the other. Article