Google offers New York City neighborhood free WiFi
REUTERS - Google Inc (GOOG.O) and a New York redevelopment organization are providing a Manhattan neighborhood with free public WiFi Internet access, making it the largest area of coverage in New York City.
The search giant and the non-profit Chelsea Improvement Co are making Internet access available outdoors in Chelsea, which is home to Google's New York offices and several technology start-ups.
The neighborhood is also home to many students, as well as residents of one of the city's public housing developments.
Google does not plan to extend the program, a company spokesman said on Tuesday.
The company also provides free Internet access to the city of Mountain View, California, where its main campus is located.
New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and U.S. Senator Charles Schumer helped unveil the initiative.
(Reporting by Jennifer Saba in New York; Editing by Dan Grebler)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- China building South China Sea island big enough for airstrip - report
- China's rate-cut likely to hurt banks, curb new loans to small borrowers
- Pakistani family sentenced to death over "honour killing" outside court
- Hitler watercolour fetches 130,000 euros at Nuremberg auction
- Obama to be chief guest at Republic Day celebrations
A U.S. judge on Friday gave final approval to Apple Inc's agreement to pay $450 million to resolve claims it harmed consumers by conspiring with five publishers to raise e-book prices. Full Article