Drayson first team to sign up for Formula E series

LONDON Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:12am IST

Related Topics

LONDON (Reuters) - Drayson Racing was revealed on Wednesday as the first team to sign up for a new city-based global 'Formula E' electric car series due to start next year.

Drayson, run by British businessman and former Science Minister Paul Drayson, said in a statement they will enter two drivers in cars to be supplied by promoter Formula E holdings and developed by Formula One frontrunners McLaren and Spark Racing Technology.

The British-based Drayson team plans to be a constructor in its own right from 2015.

"We aim to be one of the front runners from the start, leveraging the knowhow we've built up over the past two years working on electric drivetrains and developing our 200 mph electric Le Mans prototype," said Drayson.

"We believe that FIA Formula E has very significant commercial potential, it will attract new fans and new sponsors to motorsport and is on track to become the world's leading environmentally sustainable global sporting event."

Formula E will be an FIA sanctioned championship with the commercial rights licensed to a Hong Kong-based consortium which aims to hold races in the heart of at least 10 cities around the world.

Spanish businessman Alejandro Agag, a former chairman of Premier League Queens Park Rangers when the club was part-owned by Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone, is the chief executive.

Rome and Rio de Janeiro have been announced so far as host cities with organisers hoping to add London to the list. (Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by John Mehaffey)

FILED UNDER:
Comments (0)
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.

  • Most Popular
  • Most Shared

SOCCER

REUTERS SHOWCASE

IPL Boycott

IPL Boycott

News agencies to boycott IPL over photo restrictions.  Full Article 

Pistorius Trial

Pistorius Trial

Prosecutor wraps up Pistorius grilling in murder trial.  Full Article 

Djokovic Cruises

Djokovic Cruises

Novak Djokovic strolls into Monte Carlo third round.  Full Article 

Boston Anniversary

Boston Anniversary

Boston marks anniversary of bombing with somber ceremonies.  Full Article 

Against World Cup

Against World Cup

Small-scale World Cup protests continue in Brazil.  Full Article 

Formula One

Formula One

Red Bull appeal rejected - International Federation.  Full Article 

Sloppy Work

Sloppy Work

CAS blasts Jamaica over sloppy anti-doping procedures.  Full Article 

Not Exciting

Not Exciting

Phelps's return greeted with shrug by fellow Olympians.  Full Article 

Reuters India Mobile

Reuters India Mobile

Get the latest news on the go. Visit Reuters India on your mobile device.  Full Coverage