Messi sends shirt to Mueller after breaking his record
MADRID (Reuters) - Lionel Messi has sent a signed shirt to Gerd Mueller after the Argentina forward broke the former Germany striker's record for the number of goals scored in a calendar year in 2012.
"For Gerd Mueller, my respect and admiration, a hug," Messi wrote on the shirt, which had his name and number 10 on the back.
Messi finished last year with 91 goals for Barcelona and Argentina, six more than Mueller netted for Bayern Munich and Germany in 1972.
The 25-year-old Argentine, known as 'the flea' while Mueller's nickname was 'torpedo', collected an unprecedented fourth FIFA Ballon d'Or award on Monday.
(Reporting by Iain Rogers, editing by Clare Fallon)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Bangalore-bound Malaysian plane lands safely after landing gear scare
- UPDATE 2-Malaysia Airlines plane returns safely after landing gear scare
- On Easter, Pope calls for end to war, condemns waste exacerbating hunger
- Bangalore-bound Malaysia Airlines plane to make emergency landing
- Australia sees "regroup" on Malaysian plane search in a few days
Lewis Hamilton completed a hat-trick of wins by leading a Mercedes one-two in the Chinese F1 Grand Prix on Sunday. Team mate Nico Rosberg followed the Briton home for the third race in a row to retain the overall lead in the championship. Full Article