Messi sends shirt to Mueller after breaking his record
MADRID (Reuters) - Lionel Messi has sent a signed shirt to Gerd Mueller after the Argentina forward broke the former Germany striker's record for the number of goals scored in a calendar year in 2012.
"For Gerd Mueller, my respect and admiration, a hug," Messi wrote on the shirt, which had his name and number 10 on the back.
Messi finished last year with 91 goals for Barcelona and Argentina, six more than Mueller netted for Bayern Munich and Germany in 1972.
The 25-year-old Argentine, known as 'the flea' while Mueller's nickname was 'torpedo', collected an unprecedented fourth FIFA Ballon d'Or award on Monday.
(Reporting by Iain Rogers, editing by Clare Fallon)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 2-U.S. exits GM stake, taxpayers lose $10 billion
- UPDATE 2-U.S. household net worth hits record high in Q3
- China-Brazil satellite launch fails, likely fell back to Earth
- UPDATE 4-Cold, ice grip U.S. as more snow to blanket East
- UPDATE 2-U.S. to fly African troops to Central African Republic to ease violence
A ruthless Australia rattled through England's final four wickets on Monday to complete an emphatic 218-run victory in the second Ashes test and push the tourists to the brink of a humiliating series defeat. Full Article