CLSA cuts oil stocks, says fuel price rally overdone
Reuters Market Eye - CLSA downgrades Oil and Natural Gas Corp(ONGC.NS) to "underperform" from "outperform". The brokerage also cuts Indian Oil Corp (IOC.NS) and Hindustan Petroleum Corp (HPCL.NS) to "sell" from "underperform".
CLSA says the rally in these state-owned stocks on the back of hopes for a hike in fuel prices is overdone, given any "sweeping" changes to pricing would be hard to implement in a "very busy" political calendar in 2013.
The brokerage adds Indian Oil and HPCL could see higher under-recoveries from a weaker rupee, while ONGC could see the government limit its subsidy burden in 2013.
Stocks later recorvered. IOC ended up 1.18 percent, HPCL gained 1.2 percent, while ONGC rose 4.41 percent.
(Reporting by Abhishek Vishnoi)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Missing jet may have strayed toward Andaman Sea - Malaysian air force
- Fannie, Freddie shares tumble on Senate proposal for wind-down
- "Small, encouraging signs" in Michael Schumacher's condition - agent
- UPDATE 3-Thousands clash with police as Turkish teenager buried
- Putin's Ukraine actions may knock Russia's central bank off course
India's flagging economy delivered rare good news on Wednesday with a slight expansion of industrial production and further cooling in consumer prices, offering some respite to the ruling coalition before next month's general election. Article | Expert views