Rupee to hit 50 by end-Dec; challenges remain - HSBC
Reuters Market Eye - The rupee is likely to strengthen towards 53 per dollar by end-March and gain further towards 50 by end-December, HSBC says in a report.
However, the bank says the backdrop for the rupee will remain challenging due to the twin deficits and the government's difficulty in tackling them ahead of the state elections scheduled for this year.
The bank calls recent steps taken by the government "positive and constructive in addressing these deficits".
However, HSBC adds, the current account deficit is unlikely to narrow significantly unless government is able to control the widening trade deficit, particularly oil and gold imports.
(Reporting by Swati Bhat)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- India threatens to derail WTO deal, prompts angry U.S. rebuke
- Short Gaza truce takes hold; many bodies pulled from rubble
- Amazon's far-reaching ambitions, lack of profits, unnerve investors |
- Verizon to slow down speeds for some unlimited data subscribers
- UPDATE 3-Russia criticises EU sanctions, raps US over Ukraine role
Palestinians in the Gaza Strip poured into the streets on Saturday to recover their dead and stock up on food supplies after a 12-hour humanitarian truce agreed by Israel and Hamas took hold. Full Article
Amazon's far-reaching ambitions, lack of profits, unnerve investors Full Article