Rupee to hit 50 by end-Dec; challenges remain - HSBC
Reuters Market Eye - The rupee is likely to strengthen towards 53 per dollar by end-March and gain further towards 50 by end-December, HSBC says in a report.
However, the bank says the backdrop for the rupee will remain challenging due to the twin deficits and the government's difficulty in tackling them ahead of the state elections scheduled for this year.
The bank calls recent steps taken by the government "positive and constructive in addressing these deficits".
However, HSBC adds, the current account deficit is unlikely to narrow significantly unless government is able to control the widening trade deficit, particularly oil and gold imports.
(Reporting by Swati Bhat)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- India passes halfway mark in election with BJP gaining strength
- UPDATE 3-Soccer-English premier league results and standings
- Mourinho thanks officials after contentious penalty sinks Chelsea
- Surrender talks set with separatists in Ukraine as standoff lasts into Easter
- Malaysian plane search in 44th day, sea bed scans could end in days
Nitin Gadkari, former president of the Bharatiya Janata Party and a member of the BJP’s manifesto committee, speaks to Reuters. Here are the edited excerpts. Full Article
Turning smog into jewels - a Dutch designer's solution to Beijing's pollution. Video