Sensex falls; rate-sensitive stocks hit
Reuters Market Eye - The Sensex falls around 0.3 percent. Interest rate-sensitive stocks fall, with Tata Motors Ltd (TAMO.NS) down 2.3 percent and ICICI Bank (ICBK.NS) down 0.9 percent, after the RBI chief was reported by media as saying inflation was "still quite high", denting hopes of a 50 basis points rate cut this month.
"It is a decline from the peak, but it is still quite high," Subbarao was quoted by Dow Jones Newswires as saying about the December data in an address to management students in the northern city of Lucknow on Tuesday.
Shares of software services exporters fall on profit-booking after stronger-than-expected earnings boosted the shares in recent sessions.
Infosys Ltd (INFY.NS) fall 0.5 percent and Tata Consultancy Services (TCS.NS) is down 1.3 percent.
(Reporting by Abhishek Vishnoi)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- U.S. SEC to pay $30 million-plus in largest whistleblower award
- Housing data hits Wall Street; S&P has worst day since August 5 |
- US STOCKS-Housing data hits Wall St; S&P has worst day since Aug 5
- Housing data hits Wall St; S&P has worst day since Aug 5
- CANADA STOCKS-TSX hits six-week low on China fears, commodity prices
The finance ministry is increasingly optimistic that it can meet a tough fiscal deficit target, helped by a 12 percent decline in global crude oil prices since Prime Minister Narendra Modi took charge in May. Full Article