Colorado town asks judge to lift gag order in movie theater rampage

DENVER Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:26am IST

A picture of a handgun is shown in courtroom sketch from a preliminary hearing of Colorado shooting suspect James Holmes in Centennial, Colorado January 9, 2013. REUTERS/Bill Robles

A picture of a handgun is shown in courtroom sketch from a preliminary hearing of Colorado shooting suspect James Holmes in Centennial, Colorado January 9, 2013.

Credit: Reuters/Bill Robles

Related Topics

Inside the Peshawar school

Inside the Peshawar school

The aftermath inside the Pakistan school where at least 132 students and nine staff members were killed by Taliban gunmen.  Pictures 

DENVER (Reuters) - The Colorado city of Aurora has asked a judge presiding over the criminal case of last summer's movie theater massacre to lift a gag order barring police and emergency personnel from publicly discussing the rampage, a court filing made public on Wednesday showed.

Days after the July 20 shooting in which 12 died and dozens wounded, Arapahoe County District Judge William Sylvester imposed a court order prohibiting any party involved in the case, including law enforcement, from talking about it in the media.

Former graduate student James Holmes is charged with multiple counts of first-degree murder and attempted murder stemming from the shooting spree at a midnight screening of the Batman film "The Dark Knight Rises."

After a three-day preliminary hearing last week, Sylvester ruled the prosecution had presented sufficient evidence for Holmes to stand trial.

The city's motion said that because details of the crime were aired in open court, "the evidence has already been revealed to millions of people worldwide." It asked the judge to consider allowing the town's police officers and firefighters to talk about their response to the tragedy.

Holmes, 25, is scheduled to enter a plea to the charges in March. If he enters a not guilty plea, prosecutors have 60 days to decide whether to seek the death penalty.

Movie exhibitor Cinemark planned to formally reopen the multiplex to the public this coming weekend. It has said it is offering free movie passes to survivors, families of the victims and police and emergency personnel who were involved.

(Reporting and writing by Keith Coffman; Editing by Steve Gorman and Philip Barbara)

FILED UNDER:

World Wrap

REUTERS SHOWCASE

26/11 Accused

26/11 Accused

Pakistan to appeal bail for Mumbai attack "mastermind".  Full Article 

Android For cars

Android For cars

Exclusive: Google aiming to go straight into car with next Android – sources.  Full Article 

Mass Stabbing

Mass Stabbing

Eight children killed in Australia in reported mass stabbing.  Full Article 

In Distress

In Distress

Former SpiceJet owner leading rescue plan: reports.  Full Article 

PM's Moves

PM's Moves

Modi moves in to speed up $300 billion stuck projects.  Full Article 

Losing Popularity

Losing Popularity

Dalai Lama's star waning in the West, China official says.  Full Article 

Tis' The Season

Tis' The Season

Stars around the world wish you Happy Holidays.  Video 

Cyber Warfare

Cyber Warfare

For N.Korea's cyber army, long-term target may be telecoms, utility grids.  Full Article 

Reuters India Mobile

Reuters India Mobile

Get the latest news on the go. Visit Reuters India on your mobile device   Full Coverage