Gold duty hike 'tackles the symptom, not the cause'
Reuters Market Eye - Nomura says India's hike in the gold import tax will only shift gold shipments to "unofficial channels".
"Therefore, in our view imposing import duty tackles the symptom, not the cause," Nomura says in a note.
India's gold imports likely to ease to $44 billion in fiscal 2014 from an estimated $48.3 billion in fiscal 2013 in value terms, marking a 0.2 percentage point drop, Nomura estimates.
Nomura says current account deficit could moderate to 4.3 percent of GDP in FY14 from an estimated 4.9 percent in FY13, "remaining above sustainable levels," due to high oil prices and continued domestic supply-side constraints that boost imports.
(Reporting by Subhadip Sircar)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Special Report: Why Madrid's poor fear Goldman Sachs and Blackstone
- Gold sales jump about 20 pct for Diwali - trade body
- Three major nations absent as China launches W.Bank rival in Asia
- UPDATE 4-Doctor with Ebola in New York hospital after return from Guinea
- ISL probes allegation of assault on Pires
Kalki Koechlin on her role as a disabled girl in “Margarita, With a Straw” Full Article