Tesco seeks clarity on retail policy: Anand Sharma
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - The chairman of Tesco PLC(TSCO.L) met Trade Minister Anand Sharma, seeking clarifications on the country's decision to open its supermarket sector to foreign investors, the government said in a statement on Thursday.
India threw its doors open to foreign supermarket chains last year in the teeth of fierce domestic opposition, but attached strict conditions, including on sourcing, in the policy.
In a meeting in Davos, Sharma told Tesco Chairman Richard Broadbent that foreign investors would be provided "hand-holding" while entering the Indian market, and asked Tesco to put their concerns about the retail policy in writing, the statement said.
(Reporting by Matthias Williams)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 3-Obama critic D'Souza spared prison for violating election law
- U.S. and Arab allies launch first strikes on militants in Syria
- Fired UPS worker kills two supervisors, self, in Alabama shooting
- New U.S. tax rules chill 'inversion' deal-making; shares dive |
- Chinese and Indian troops in Himalayan standoff
Retaining talent, reviving company
Infosys Ltd's new CEO has come up with a novel approach to reviving the financial fortunes of India's trailblazing outsourcing firm: use Facebook at work, tweet, but get the job done. Full Article