ITC gains as fears of duty hike recede
Reuters Market Eye - Shares in ITC (ITC.NS) ended up 0.7 percent to 299.75 rupees, not far off a record high of 306.50 rupees hit on December 12, 2012, as investors see previous fears of a potential duty on cigarettes as having dragged down the stock excessively.
Shares in the cigarette maker fell 11.7 percent in December on fears of tougher regulations on tobacco products.
Buying in defensive stocks this week on nervousness ahead of the RBI policy review on Tuesday also seen helping.
ITC shares have risen 4.3 percent this week.
ITC last week beat estimates with a 21 percent rise in quarterly profit as cigarette volumes improved after four quarters of stagnant growth.
(Reporting by Abhishek Vishnoi)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Bangalore-bound Malaysian plane lands safely after landing gear scare
- Calls to U.S. poison centers involving e-cigarettes jump - CDC
- India passes halfway mark in election with BJP gaining strength
- UPDATE 1-Saudi Arabia announces jump in new cases of deadly MERS virus
- Mercedes, BMW chase ultra rich clients with new high end cars