ITC gains as fears of duty hike recede
Reuters Market Eye - Shares in ITC (ITC.NS) ended up 0.7 percent to 299.75 rupees, not far off a record high of 306.50 rupees hit on December 12, 2012, as investors see previous fears of a potential duty on cigarettes as having dragged down the stock excessively.
Shares in the cigarette maker fell 11.7 percent in December on fears of tougher regulations on tobacco products.
Buying in defensive stocks this week on nervousness ahead of the RBI policy review on Tuesday also seen helping.
ITC shares have risen 4.3 percent this week.
ITC last week beat estimates with a 21 percent rise in quarterly profit as cigarette volumes improved after four quarters of stagnant growth.
(Reporting by Abhishek Vishnoi)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 1-Boehner erupts at conservative groups ahead of U.S. budget vote
- UPDATE 2-Hawaii official who released Obama birth certificate dies in plane crash
- Republican feud boils over in U.S. budget deal fight
- US STOCKS-Wall St drops on taper anxiety; Facebook rallies
- UPDATE 2-Bank of Canada sees rates on hold 'quite some time'
India's battle with inflation and weak economic growth became more challenging on Thursday with a sharp spike in the cost of food driving the highest retail price rises on record and a worse-than-anticipated contraction in industrial production. Full Article