ITC gains as fears of duty hike recede
Reuters Market Eye - Shares in ITC (ITC.NS) ended up 0.7 percent to 299.75 rupees, not far off a record high of 306.50 rupees hit on December 12, 2012, as investors see previous fears of a potential duty on cigarettes as having dragged down the stock excessively.
Shares in the cigarette maker fell 11.7 percent in December on fears of tougher regulations on tobacco products.
Buying in defensive stocks this week on nervousness ahead of the RBI policy review on Tuesday also seen helping.
ITC shares have risen 4.3 percent this week.
ITC last week beat estimates with a 21 percent rise in quarterly profit as cigarette volumes improved after four quarters of stagnant growth.
(Reporting by Abhishek Vishnoi)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Indian firms tool up for defence orders on Modi's 'buy India' pledge
- U.S. strikes have slowed Iraq militants but not weakened them - Pentagon
- Murder, revenge, lust and rampage take over 'Sin City' sequel |
- India to tighten up banking risk management - Jaitley
- Striker Michael Chopra joins Tendulkar-owned team in Indian Super League
Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said on Thursday that the government was working to tighten up risk management in the banking sector, responding to recent scandals that have raised doubts about lending practices at state banks. Full Article