ITC gains as fears of duty hike recede
Reuters Market Eye - Shares in ITC (ITC.NS) ended up 0.7 percent to 299.75 rupees, not far off a record high of 306.50 rupees hit on December 12, 2012, as investors see previous fears of a potential duty on cigarettes as having dragged down the stock excessively.
Shares in the cigarette maker fell 11.7 percent in December on fears of tougher regulations on tobacco products.
Buying in defensive stocks this week on nervousness ahead of the RBI policy review on Tuesday also seen helping.
ITC shares have risen 4.3 percent this week.
ITC last week beat estimates with a 21 percent rise in quarterly profit as cigarette volumes improved after four quarters of stagnant growth.
(Reporting by Abhishek Vishnoi)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- China not warlike, says Xi, as border standoff dominates India trip
- Scots vote on independence, United Kingdom's fate on knife-edge
- Islamic State releases video it says shows British journalist John Cantlie
- Jailed Fatah leader lauds Gaza 'victory', urges confrontation with Israel
- International country music singer George Hamilton IV dies at 77
China is not a warlike nation, President Xi Jinping said on Thursday, during a rare trip to neighbour India that was dominated by a standoff on a barren Himalayan plateau between soldiers from the world's two most populous nations. Full Article | Slideshow