CAIRO The head of the Egyptian military said political conflict in the country could lead to the collapse of the state and protecting the Suez Canal was one of the main objectives of an army deployment in nearby cities shaken by violence.
"The continuation of the struggle of the different political forces ... over the management of state affairs could lead to the collapse of the state," General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, who is also defence minister, said. His remarks were published on the official Facebook page of the army spokesman.
(Writing by Tom Perry)
Trending On Reuters
Police hunting for the perpetrators of Thailand's deadliest bombing arrested a foreign man on Saturday they said fitted the description of a suspect seen leaving a rucksack at the site of the Bangkok blast nearly two weeks ago. Full Article
- Egypt court sentences 3 journalists to 3 yrs in prison
- Malaysia's Mahathir joins protesters calling for PM to go
- Chad executes 10 Boko Haram members by firing squad - sources
- Iran's Rouhani says military power not affected by nuclear deal - state TV
- Three refugee children found critically ill in Austria