CAIRO The head of the Egyptian military said political conflict in the country could lead to the collapse of the state and protecting the Suez Canal was one of the main objectives of an army deployment in nearby cities shaken by violence.
"The continuation of the struggle of the different political forces ... over the management of state affairs could lead to the collapse of the state," General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, who is also defence minister, said. His remarks were published on the official Facebook page of the army spokesman.
(Writing by Tom Perry)
Trending On Reuters
Airplane debris that washed up on the Indian Ocean island of Reunion and may belong to the vanished Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 arrived in France on Saturday for investigators to study its origin. Full Article
- Hillary, Bill Clinton report total income of $140 million since 2007
- Bin Laden relatives reportedly killed in private jet crash in Britain
- On Army Day, China warns of growing border security risks
- Malaysia's PM Najib says Qatar, China interested in 1MDB assets
- Minister intervenes to give Chinese artist Ai Weiwei full UK visa