Cole set for 100th cap as England name squad for Brazil
LONDON (Reuters) - Chelsea left back Ashley Cole is in line to win his 100th England cap after being named in manager Roy Hodgson's 24-man squad on Thursday for next week's friendly against Brazil.
Cole returns after missing England's last game, a 4-2 defeat by Sweden in November, through injury.
Manchester United defender Chris Smalling is also back in the squad for the first time in almost a year and Everton midfielder Leon Osman, a surprise inclusion for Sweden, retains his place.
England play Brazil at Wembley on Wednesday ahead of World Cup qualifiers against San Marino and Montenegro in March.
Goalkeepers: Jack Butland, Joe Hart.
Defenders: Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Phil Jagielka, Glen Johnson, Joleon Lescott, Chris Smalling, Kyle Walker.
Midfielders: Michael Carrick, Tom Cleverley, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Leon Osman, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Theo Walcott, Jack Wilshere.
Forwards: Jermain Defoe, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Danny Welbeck.
(Reporting by Toby Davis; editing by Ed Osmond)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Google launches $105 Android One; eyes low-price smartphone boom
- Apple iPhone 6 pre-orders hit record 4 million on first day |
- LAPD investigates complaint from detained 'Django' actress
- Iran says it rebuffed US invitation to join anti-Islamic State coalition
- Alibaba to boost IPO size on "overwhelming" demand - sources