Teenaged student wounded in Atlanta school shooting
ATLANTA (Reuters) - At least one student was wounded on Thursday in a shooting at a middle school in Atlanta, police said.
"There is one boy who was shot. He's OK," an Atlanta police spokeswoman told parents outside Price Middle School in southeast Atlanta.
An Atlanta fire department official identified the student as a 14-year-old, who was hit in the head and taken to hospital. The official added that a teacher was treated for superficial injuries at the scene.
MyFoxAtlanta.com said three suspects were in custody and the school was on lockdown after the shooting. Further details were not immediately available.
"I just heard that somebody's kid got shot. The police ain't telling us nothing," said Tekea Cowans, the mother of a 12-year-old boy at the school.
The shooting came as national debate rages over gun violence, especially in schools, after a gunman shot dead 20 students and six staff members at a Connecticut elementary school last month.
(Reporting by David Beasley, Kevin Gray; Editing by David Adams and Tom Brown, Gary Hill)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Two Ukrainian fighter jets shot down over rebel-held territory
- UPDATE 2-Concordia finally heads for scrapyard after massive salvage operation
- South Korea ferry fugitive hid behind cabin wall, bags of cash at hand
- UPDATE 2-U.S. SEC adopts long-awaited reforms for money market funds
- UPDATE 5-TransAsia Airways plane crashes in typhoon-hit Taiwan, killing 47
A domestic TransAsia Airways plane crashed on landing on an island off the west coast of tyhoon-hit Taiwan on Wednesday, killing 47 people, the Civil Aeronautics Administration said. Full Article
Wrecked Concordia finally headed for scrapyard after massive salvage operation. Full Article