ATLANTA At least one student was wounded on Thursday in a shooting at a middle school in Atlanta, police said.
"There is one boy who was shot. He's OK," an Atlanta police spokeswoman told parents outside Price Middle School in southeast Atlanta.
An Atlanta fire department official identified the student as a 14-year-old, who was hit in the head and taken to hospital. The official added that a teacher was treated for superficial injuries at the scene.
MyFoxAtlanta.com said three suspects were in custody and the school was on lockdown after the shooting. Further details were not immediately available.
"I just heard that somebody's kid got shot. The police ain't telling us nothing," said Tekea Cowans, the mother of a 12-year-old boy at the school.
The shooting came as national debate rages over gun violence, especially in schools, after a gunman shot dead 20 students and six staff members at a Connecticut elementary school last month.
(Reporting by David Beasley, Kevin Gray; Editing by David Adams and Tom Brown, Gary Hill)
Trending On Reuters
Airplane debris that washed up on the Indian Ocean island of Reunion and may belong to the vanished Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 arrived in France on Saturday for investigators to study its origin. Full Article
- Hillary, Bill Clinton report total income of $140 million since 2007
- Bin Laden relatives reportedly killed in private jet crash in Britain
- On Army Day, China warns of growing border security risks
- Malaysia's PM Najib says Qatar, China interested in 1MDB assets
- Minister intervenes to give Chinese artist Ai Weiwei full UK visa