London An earthquake of magnitude 6.7 struck off the coast of the Solomon islands in the Pacific Ocean, the U.S. Geological Survey said on Friday.
The depth of the quake was 10 km (6.2 miles) and the epicentre was 68 km southwest of Lata. The quake hit at 9:16 a.m. local time on Saturday.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center did not immediately issue any alerts on its website.
(Editing by Sophie Hares)
Trending On Reuters
A dispute over U.N. sanctions on Iran's ballistic missile programme and a broader arms embargo were among issues holding up a nuclear deal between Tehran and six world powers on Monday, the day before their latest self-imposed deadline. Full Article | Revolutionary Guards to benefit
- Islamic State takes ground from Syrian Kurds after air strikes
- Buffett donates record $2.84 billion to Gates, family charities
- Pakistani gunmen kill three in attack blamed on Islamist groups
- BRICS summit gives Putin a chance to show Russia not isolated
- Thousands camp out for Pope's first mass in Ecuador
Insight - Car dashboards that act like smart phones raise safety issues Full Article