Kotak Mahindra Bank buys business loans book of Barclays India
REUTERS - Private sector lender Kotak Mahindra Bank Ltd (KTKM.NS) said on Tuesday it acquired the business loans portfolio of the Indian arm of Barclays Plc (BARC.L).
With this acquisition, Kotak will have 6000 customers with total loans outstanding of about 7 billion rupees, Kotak said.
In December 2011, Barclays had said it would stop making retail loans as part of its new strategy to focus only on wealth management and corporate and investment banking operations in India.
Foreign banks in India face stiff competition from local rivals such as top lender State Bank of India (SBI.NS) and No. 2 ICICI Bank Ltd (ICBK.NS), and have managed to capture only a small share of the country's retail banking business.
(Reporting by Swati Pandey in Mumbai; Editing by Anand Basu)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- In his native Alabama, Apple CEO's announcement he is gay prompts discomfort for some
- U.S. nurse defies Ebola quarantine with bike ride; negotiations fail
- Nurse defies Ebola quarantine with bike ride; negotiations fail |
- Islamic State fighters kill 220 Iraqis from tribe that opposed them
- PM Modi boots officials out of the first class cabin
The BSE Sensex and Nifty on Friday rose to their second consecutive record highs. The 30-share Sensex surged as much as 1.52 percent to an all-time high of 27,762.13. The broader Nifty gained as much as 1.49 percent to a record of 8,291.65. Full Article
China's shadow banking sector growing rapidly, third largest in world - FSB. Full Article