Kotak Mahindra Bank buys business loans book of Barclays India
REUTERS - Private sector lender Kotak Mahindra Bank Ltd (KTKM.NS) said on Tuesday it acquired the business loans portfolio of the Indian arm of Barclays Plc (BARC.L).
With this acquisition, Kotak will have 6000 customers with total loans outstanding of about 7 billion rupees, Kotak said.
In December 2011, Barclays had said it would stop making retail loans as part of its new strategy to focus only on wealth management and corporate and investment banking operations in India.
Foreign banks in India face stiff competition from local rivals such as top lender State Bank of India (SBI.NS) and No. 2 ICICI Bank Ltd (ICBK.NS), and have managed to capture only a small share of the country's retail banking business.
(Reporting by Swati Pandey in Mumbai; Editing by Anand Basu)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 6-Islamic State issues video of beheading of U.S. hostage
- Apple says its systems not to blame for celebrity photo breach
- UPDATE 3-Apple says its systems not to blame for celebrity photo breach
- Ukraine steelmen hold their ground as frontline marches towards port
- UPDATE 1-Girl who fatally shot Arizona gun instructor said weapon was too powerful
The BSE Sensex on Tuesday breached the psychologically key level of 27,000 points for the first time to hit its third consecutive record high as blue-chips such as HDFC Bank gained after recent data raises hopes about the economy. Full Article
100 days of Modi: Good for business, not so good for marginalised groups. Full Article